Senior Electrical Engineer (Electromagnetic Compatibility Specialist)
- Role type
Position Title: Senior Electrical Engineer (Electromagnetic Compatibility Specialist)
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any Ricardo UK office (Bristol, Derby, London, Preston, York)
Ricardo is looking to strengthen its consultancy team both to support the delivery of existing projects, and to expand our offer to new clients and new territories.
We are seeking to recruit a Senior Electromagnetic Compatibility Specialist with approximately ten years’ relevant experience into our Engineering, Strategy and Performance Team. The successful candidate will lead a wide range of rolling stock, infrastructure, and research-driven projects on behalf of manufacturers, owners and operators.
Typical activities would include:
- Providing system safety leadership and guidance to our clients on key projects using CSM RA specific to Electrical Engineering and Control Systems (EE&CS) using standards such as NR/GN/500xx, EN50238 & EN50121. Typical activities include:
- Technical and project management from the bidding stage through to delivery.
- Planning and chairing Hazard Identification and / or Risk Assessment workshops including explicit risk estimation on specific areas that may be qualitative or quantitative.
- Preparing, checking or approving key safety documents including System Definitions, Safety Plans, Hazard Records and Safety Justification Reports; demonstrating the application of CSM-RA for rail projects that deliver technical, operational and/or organisational change.
- Liaising with and managing the relationship with independent assessors (ISA / AsBo).
- Providing EMC Assurance for projects which will involve the development and delivery of documentation such as, EMC Strategies, EMC Control Plan, EMC Gap analysis
- Undertaking EMC assessments and analysis using modelling tools such as Microcap, Mathcad, Matlab, Diadem, DasyLab, FEMM etc.
- Supporting and advising projects in delivery of EMC Assessment Body (AsBo) and Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) related activities
- Undertaking EMC site test measurements, such Radiated Frequency Interference (RFI), Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) for Health, axle counters etc.
- Developing novel approaches to solve EMC related issues.
This is a senior role within a consultancy environment. Therefore, your key responsibilities relate to the requirement to bid, win and deliver successful projects. In doing so, you will:
- Support business development activities and write proposals. In doing so, identify potential risks, devise method statements, specify clear acceptance criteria, and generate resource and cost estimates.
- Manage and deliver projects, working with clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- Produce and oversee electromagnetic analysis for a range of projects.
- Liaise with clients, project stakeholders and other industry participants.
- Support the development of other team members.
Technical Expertise and Skills:
We consider it important that you can demonstrate:
- An interest and skills in mentoring/coaching colleagues.
- Ten years’ experience of working within the rail industry (ideally with a power / electrical machine / control bias).
- A sound understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals and the application of electromagnetic theory.
- Significant experience in electromagnetic compatibility at a system and subsystem level, and a track record in using appropriate modelling tools to solve problems and demonstrate compatibility in a safety critical environment.
- A working knowledge of rolling stock design and/or maintenance, including associated issues (e.g. electric traction drives, switching harmonics and associated issues).
- Experience of working under the Common Safety Method, or equivalent, and an understanding of the standards and requirements applicable to the rail industry to enable generation of EE&CS Safety Cases demonstrating compatibility with the infrastructure.
- A broad range of skills in relevant disciplines, such as:
- Creating and managing implementation of Engineering Change Proposals;
- Fault and failure investigation, including root-cause analysis and solution identification;
- Planning and supervision of testing activities (conducted currents, axle counter magnetic fields, EMF measurements, RFI measurements to EN5021)
- Analysis of measured data using commercial software packages to demonstrate compatibility to relevant standards
A strong appreciation of working in a consultancy environment including the need for flexibility and client-satisfaction. This includes understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
Good communication skills, including the capability to engage positively with clients and colleagues as part of a consultancy project team, and to influence decision-makers. This includes the ability to present technical information to customers in clear, complete, concise and non-ambiguous terms.
Strong report writing skills, including an ability to tailor your style to meet client requirements and deliver high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions. Good time-management skills and the ability to deliver on a range of concurrent projects to time and budget.
- Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer (preferred)
Ricardo Group is a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specialises in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors. We are a community of around 3,000 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges. In addition to our core technical engineering consultancy services, we support our clients with strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
As part of the wider Ricardo family, the Ricardo Rail business unit provides world-class expertise in critical and complex railway systems. We operate across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australasia, employing over 600 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects. Together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers. Guided by our vision to create a safe and sustainable world we enable our customers to combine sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can all be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.
- Great working environment with ability to blend working in office / at home
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays and the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 additional days
- Company pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- Udemy Learning