Principal Consultant Human Factors/Ergonomics
- Role type
Principal Consultant - Human Factors
Ricardo has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and motivated Human Factors adviser.
As a senior member of our Human Factors Team you will be responsible for delivering a range of projects, providing your insight and expert analysis on human performance risks and appropriate design solutions.
Our multidisciplinary teams are currently engaged on a range of projects in partnership with a diverse list of clients and industry partners, allowing you to develop your technical and commercial project delivery skills. You will have opportunities to work alongside large, industry leaders such as Network Rail, Hitachi, RSSB and Transport for London, as well as new and innovative suppliers who are instrumental in shaping the ways that our railways will evolve and adapt to meet contemporary challenges.
Your experience managing Human Factors Integration activities and analyses will be key to guiding project teams through a range of risk-based human-centred design activities, helping to assure the safety, efficiency, comfort and accessibility of systems.
Our UK rail team is looking for a consultant with demonstrable experience managing Human Factors project activities and providing technical leadership on Human Factors issues.
At Ricardo we want to help create a safe and sustainable world, and we have a reputation for providing our clients with specialist analyses and thoughtful solutions that help them to understand and solve complex problems. This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a real difference and to advance your career.
We provide our clients – designers, operators, manufacturers, maintenance companies, and industry regulators – with specialist technical support including systems engineering, safety and environmental disciplines, to help improve performance, safety and sustainability. Examples of our current projects include:
- Assessing Crossrail station designs to ensure accessibility;
- Supporting the design of modern control rooms and traffic management systems to ensure effective supervision and control over automated railway operations;
- Supporting the modernisation of freight cabs with ETCS signaling system;
- Researching the practical application of rules governing train horn warnings, to try and reduce track worker and pedestrian fatalities on the railway.
We empower, develop, and trust our people to help them deliver their best work within a culture that enables you to evolve, grow and succeed. You will benefit from personalised approaches to your ongoing learning and development whilst also drawing on your own experience to offer guidance, support and coaching to junior members within the team.
At Ricardo we are committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we are a signatory of the Women in Rail EDI Charter. We also take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies designed to support individuals, offering flexible working, a carers policy, mental health first aiders and our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
- Great working environment with ability to blend working in office/ at home
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- Udemy Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.
We are seeking an experienced, intelligent and motivated senior consultant to join the Human Factors team. Based in our London, Derby or Bristol Offices, you will provide support and advice internally and to clients and multidisciplinary stakeholders, across a broad range of projects, topics and issues, including:
Human Factors Integration planning
Management of progressive assurance activities and evidence
Management of Human Factors issues/risks and derived design requirements
Identification and application of appropriate industry standards and good practice guidance
Scoping and delivery of appropriate Human Factors activities and methodologies, including task analysis, human error assessment, workload assessment, workstation and interface design, alerts and alarms management
The successful applicant will have:
- A relevant undergraduate or master’s degree in a subject related to Human Factors/Ergonomics, Psychology, Systems Engineering, or similar;
- Chartered member status with the CIEHF, or evidence of equivalent experience and competencies to achieve this in the short term;
- A genuine interest in how we optimise human performance; including evidence of modules of study covering topics such as ergonomics, human-system interface design, human performance, psychology, or similar;
- At least five years’ experience as a Human Factors adviser to organisations operating in complex, high reliability environments; including at least two years demonstrated experience within the rail environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication, consultation, and facilitation skills and the ability to deal effectively with people at all levels.
- A proactive, organised approach and a commitment to producing high quality work with a high level of attention to detail.
As a Senior Consultant, you will need to manage your time across several projects and provide support and coaching to junior members of the team, with responsibility for the quality and delivery of your work, peer reviews within the team, and for effective project management. Our senior consultants are pivotal to our success in managing technical excellence, efficient planning, budgeting and delivery of high-quality work.
You will manage and contribute to projects through all phases – from the preparation of proposals and new bids through to delivering work and managing project delivery. As a representative of Ricardo, you will work closely clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project, also helping to foster key relationships in industry. You will help scope resource and cost estimates, manage delivery of smaller projects or take ownership of specific work packages as part of a larger programs.
You will demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills to help ensure effective engagement and collaboration with clients and stakeholders, helping the team to identify and proactively manage any emergent risks that may impact positive project outcomes.
You will gain all the benefits you can expect from a career in a respected technical consulting organisation like Ricardo, whether that involves taking advantage of opportunities to work on international assignments; a period embedded ‘full time’ on-site within client project teams; or just by being part of a global community of engineering graduates developing their knowledge and careers together. We have teams working on railway projects in China, Australia, Middle East, Netherlands, Canada and the US.
As part of the Ricardo Group, we are also closely aligned with the Energy and Environment Business and Automotive Business and there are opportunities to work across these teams to gain broader experience.