Sector Lead - Bioenergy and CCUS
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Sector Lead - Bioenergy and CCUS
Location: UK Flexible
Role ID: 2022-1640
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Sector Lead - Bioenergy and CCUS to join our Heat Decarbonisation business area.
The successful candidate must be experienced in delivering, managing, and directing projects, providing strong team leadership, and in preparing / influencing / implementing successful business strategy plans. You will be keen to mentor more junior members of the team and we will support you to develop in both technical and professional areas.
You will be motivated to develop our work in the CCUS and Bioenergy sectors, alongside prioritising the effective leadership of a growing team.
We need an excellent communicator who can explain complex ideas and articulate proposals that meet specific client needs. Must be able to travel to sites in the UK and overseas when required.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the continuing growth of our successful work in bioenergy and CCUS and develop it even further. The role would involve working closely with other Sector Leads within the team (including Industrial Heat decarbonisation) and other teams across Ricardo Energy & Environment and would join the business area senior leadership team contributing to wider business area strategy and leadership.
- Business development strategy:
- Developing, implementing, and tracking strategy for the Bioenergy and CCUS sectors, covering market review, opportunity creation and identification.
- Engaging with key stakeholder in the area and developing new opportunities and proposals.
- Coordinating, costing, and leading methodologies for proposals as a response to tenders or working with existing and new clients.
- Interacting with other teams and business development leads across Ricardo Energy & Environment to identify areas of collaboration and emulating synergies across different teams.
- Technical Leadership of project delivery and project managers
Supporting and driving successful project delivery across the portfolio of projects. Ensure best practice is in place for the projects delivered in the sector, with project managers and directors being supported, developed and empowered to ensure the projects are successful.
- Bid decisions / procedure
Qualifying, co-ordinating and leading bids, following best practice and appropriate bid procedures. Keeping track of all potential projects and project proposals in development
- Contribute to the strategic leadership of the Heat team
collaborate with other sector leads, BD leads, team leaders and project managers to meet shared financial targets and other relevant objectives.
- Team development and leadership
Bring together our existing team with bioenergy and CCUS skills and help them develop their expertise. Identify areas for growth and lead recruitment to build our capability.
Skills and experience
We expect candidates to have a strong track record in bioenergy and CCUS – but acknowledge that expertise may be stronger in one area than the other. This position would suit applicants:
- With a strong technical/engineering degree, and a background relevant to Bioenergy and CCUS.
- With experience developing and implementing business plans, ideally in a consultancy environment and/or in the energy/heat sector.
- With experience winning and delivering energy projects, including managing, and directing complex projects to a successful conclusion.
- With experience leading people and teams ranging from graduate through to more senior members of staff.
- Who are passionate about renewable heat and heat decarbonisation, sustainable energy systems, with a desire to lead in developing the bioenergy and CCUS sectors.
- With strong communication skills with experience of writing and presenting for different audiences.
- With a strong understanding of bioenergy, including supply chains, policy, fuel characteristics, environmental impacts, technologies regulation and prices/costs
- With experience in bioenergy technical feasibility and due diligence.
- With an understanding of government policies relating to biomass, biofuels and heat markets in UK and Europe.
- An understanding of how the use of biomass for energy fits into the wider bioeconomy, including sustainability issues and carbon emissions.
- An understanding of bioenergy technologies, costs, economic impacts, environmental and life cycle assessment, and potential business models.
- Proven experience in energy and climate change policy assessment.
- With an understanding of CCUS/BECCS technologies, costs, economic impacts, environmental and life cycle assessment, and potential business models.
- With an understanding of the policies and market development issues relating to CCUS.
- With an understanding of how the use of biomass for energy fits into the wider bioeconomy, including sustainability issues and carbon emissions.
Fluency in English is essential, as is a full driver's license.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.