Senior Consultant - Heat and Buildings
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Senior Consultant – Heat and Buildings
Location: UK, Flexible
Job ID: 2022-1645
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Senior Consultant to join our Heat and Buildings team within our Heat Decarbonisation business area.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team providing technical advice to our clients across a range of low carbon heating projects in the built environment, from feasibility through to implementation. We are looking for people with demonstrable experience and abilities across core consultancy skills, including client engagement, team working and technical project delivery. You should possess a strong building services and/or energy modelling background. As a Senior Consultant, you would lead and contribute to the delivery of a wide project portfolio encompassing the decarbonisation of the existing built environment, through fabric and energy efficiency measures, low carbon heating and cooling, and heat networks. You will have appreciation of the commercial, social and climate change adaption factors that influence any site’s net zero strategy.
- Developing strategies to decarbonise existing built estates: Creativity is the heart of this role, having the confidence and technical toolkit to provide clients with high value advice.
- Modelling of low carbon solutions: Encompassing both energy flows and cashflows.
- Site surveying: Exploring how client’s existing HVAC and energy systems operate and identifying both the opportunities and constraints.
- Technical project delivery and project management: Utilising your technical skills in the delivery and/or management of projects, working with colleagues to ensure best practice and high-quality deliverables for our clients in this sector.
- Client’s engineer: Supporting projects through delivery, safeguarding quality, safety and the project carbon targets.
Skills and experience
This position would suit applicants:
- With a strong technical/engineering degree.
- With experience delivering energy projects, particularly when deploying innovative solutions.
- Who are passionate about renewable heat and heat decarbonisation within the built environment.
- Who are proactive and effective team players and leaders, ready to help and willing to support junior members of the team.
- Who possess excellent core consultancy skills – bid writing, project management and delivery.
- With strong engineering skills, with a focus on building services engineering, electrification of heat or building thermal modelling.
- Experienced in technoeconomic assessment and business case development.
- Who can inspect and understand the operation of existing building systems.
- Who are professional, diligent, and have strong attention to detail.
The successful candidate must have
- An engineer progressing towards chartership, or chartered, with 3-6 years of experience.
- Understanding of government policies related to energy in the built environment, renewable heat and associated district heating and cooling networks.
- Experience in conducting feasibility studies, conceptual design development, and development of tender packages.
- Ability to effectively communicate to clients and stakeholders heat decarbonisation pathways for buildings and estates.
A full UK driver’s license is required for this role.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.