Senior Consultant - Alternative Fuels
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Senior Consultant - Alternative Fuels
Location: UK Flexible
Role ID: 2022-1621
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
The Hazmat Academy, set up by National Chemical Emergency Centre (a part of Ricardo plc), was created to revolutionise hazardous materials training by providing a solution that both meets individuals needs but also takes into account the challenges faced by organisations today. Due to the strong growth in orders seen by the Hazmat Academy, we are now looking to expand our team.
The purpose of the role will be to lead on the delivery of alternative fuels training and projects on behalf of the Hazmat Academy, with a key focus being on hydrogen. We are looking for a candidate who can make a strong contribution to the success of the team enabling us to continue to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role would be suited to a candidate with a strong knowledge of chemistry or industrial gases, which could be from an educational or industrial background. The role will include the delivery of consultancy to organisations around the globe, which means you would be required to deliver high quality training to, sometimes, very large, diverse, groups of delegates.
• To create and deliver training to both public and private sector clients, at locations both within the UK and overseas.
• To support and sometimes lead consultancy projects being delivered, by both internal and associate teams, on behalf of clients.
• Provide input to business development of the area, working closely with the new business and account management teams.
• Working closely with existing customers and partners to further develop the relationships.
• Use own existing network, or develop a network of key contacts, to uncover new market requirements and develop courses to deliver based on the market need.
• Stay current in the field of alternative fuels, through continued research, learning and development, ensuring. knowledge including the risks and benefits of their use, is shared within the Hazmat Academy.
• Play a key role in the future development of the team, working closely with our emergency responder team to share knowledge and create development opportunities.
• Knowledge and understanding of hydrogen (and other alternative fuels), from a safety, risk and benefit perspective, which could have been gained from working in industry, academia, research, or through involvement with the emergency services.
• Strong chemistry, physics or engineering background (ideally with a hydrogen focus), with three to five years’ experience in industry and / or be qualified to degree level in a science or engineering discipline.
• Proven track record of delivery of training packages / programmes.
• Ability to work closely with clients to identify exact requirements for training.
• Experience of working within both a range of customers, coupled with a strong commercial understanding.
• Ability to work independently, prioritising own work and delivering to deadlines.
• Clear verbal and written communication skill, with experience of communicating scientific information to a range of internal and/or external customers.
• Experience related to the design / development / installation of a hydrogen system or similar flammable gas, e.g. sites requiring DSEAR, ATEX.
• Experience of working with the emergency services either as a responder or in a training delivery capacity.
• Experience of working in a private sector emergency response team.
• Teaching qualification such as Award in Education and Teaching or equivalent.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right individual to join a market leading team who are committed to delivering high quality consultancy to some of the best-known organisations in the UK and across the globe. By joining the NCEC’s Hazmat Academy delivery team, you will have the opportunity to work with the emergency services, government research organisations and the private sector, alongside some of the most experienced trainers in the UK.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.