Mechanical Engineer, Battery Systems
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer focusing on Battery Systems for our growing Electrification team. The Mechanical Engineer with Battery Systems focus works with a cross functional engineering team for definition, design, integration, verification, and validation of all aspects of the mobility applications. The ideal candidate will bring a solid background in mechanical engineering and experience in systems engineering. Previous experience in Battery Systems is preferred but not required. Our team of capable engineers are motivated to train mechanical engineers who have the desire and passion to learn Battery Systems. We understand that mechanical engineers from all industries bring a diverse perspective to our organization. This is a unique opportunity to continue a career focus on Battery or get into the exiting field of Battery Systems for electric vehicles.
· Specify, design and develop battery systems from either a clean-sheet requirement, or provide application engineering support to identify the ideal battery pack and integrate into the desired application.
· Develop required documentation (sub-system technical specifications, block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc.) and Sheppard the design process through to production release.
· Work with suppliers to identify required components to be incorporated into the final design, resulting in a robust design meeting all client specifications and needs.
· Responsible for design release engineer for module assembly, components and subassemblies, including DFMEA, DVP, robustness/P-diagrams, 2D&3D models, GD&T, critical characteristics, tolerance analysis, engineering BOM, work instructions and process flow.
· Support procurement of prototype module components, subassembly and assembly, DV & production source selection, APQP, tool design & qualification, purchasing, inventory and quality management
· Provides timely and accurate department reports as appropriate and requested
· Delivers superior levels of client service to both internal and external clients while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion
· Coordinates and supervises daily activity; sets priorities. May be called Team or Section Leader. Provides technical leadership. Resolves standard problems. Does not have management responsibility for personnel matters.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· This position requires a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, structural, mechanical, material, naval & marine, aerospace, physics and related disciplines.
· Experienced with designing and releasing of Automotive components
· Strong communication, client awareness, and problem-solving skills
· Experienced in developing good supplier relationships
· Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
· Basic to advance engineering knowledge with automotive and industrial energy storage systems employing advanced cell chemistries in various configurations for low or high voltage, power and energy capacity
· Familiarity with automotive and industrial energy storage system designs at a high level and best practices. Has insight into the rationale for design approaches taken by design teams for current production battery packs.
· Experience with engineering processes from concept development to production energy storage system development.
· Familiarity with engineering development processes (block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc). Ability to establish development process tools from clean sheet or “own” established process until production release.
· Familiarity with how an energy storage system will operate within a system (hybrid or grid).
· Design and Analysis – requirements documentation, compliance, a general understanding of mechanical and structural design. Ability to specify key analysis or interpret results.
· Thermal Systems – familiar with cooling systems: requirements, specifications, heat exchange, working fluids packaging and interconnects
· Electronic module – fundamental understanding of wiring and bus bar routing, fusing, connectors, mounting of components and maintain bill of materials
· Packaging – ability to address issues related to detailed design of module packaging, conductors, sensor locations and module and pack-level tolerance stack analysis, creepage and clearance requirements
- Roles at Ricardo, Inc. are individually tied to Quality, Health and Safety policies and procedures. Further trainings and information will be reviewed upon start.
· Experience in battery pack design and development.
· Familiarity with industry energy storage system developers (OEM) and typical energy storage system suppliers chain (component suppliers).
· Testing – develop comprehensive test specifications, support DV and PV testing for electrical, mechanical and thermal systems. Close familiarity with test equipment, laboratory requirements and safety.
· Familiarity with various simulation tools in the areas of FEA, CFD, 1-D and/or multi-physic analysis. Skills on one or more of the above simulations software's are desirable.
· BMS - Some knowledge with typical BMS system functionality, operation, and integration issues
· Proposal development - Ability to write clear proposals with scope, deliverables, assumptions clearly defined.
· Awareness of industry trends, cell chemistry trade-offs and best practices.
· Commercial delivery Ability to remain focused on delivery in “noisy environment”. Ability to simplify complex trade-offs into simple choices to support decision makers.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, height, weight, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, arrest record (MI only), parental status (IL only), military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.