Supervisor – Chemical Emergency Response Team
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Supervisor – Chemical Emergency Response Team
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary Range: £30,000-£40,000 per annum plus benefits
Role ID: 1603
Do you want to work for a company whose vision is to create a safe and sustainable world?
Ricardo is a global community of engineers, economists, scientists, consultants and business services professionals, working across a multitude of markets to enable our customers to solve the most complex challenges facing the realisation of a safe and sustainable world.
As part of Ricardo, the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) delivers on this vision by providing real-time advice and support to incidents involving hazardous chemicals. Additionally, our team of chemistry, emergency response (ER) and regulatory professionals provide the chemical sector with a range of services to support the safe and sustainable management of chemicals.
We are currently looking for a Supervisor to join our Chemical Emergency Response team at NCEC.
Who are we looking for?
- An experienced team leader or supervisor to provide real-time support, direct line management and personal development guidance to our team of shift workers, who provide 24/7 telephone-based emergency response to chemical incidents.
- Candidates with a passion for leading and motivating team members to perform, deliver work high standards, and demonstrate excellent customer service.
- Those with experience working with chemicals or in the chemical industry, who can demonstrate a strong logical approach, thinking critically and laterally to solve problems.
- Candidates willing and able to work flexibly, to successfully meet the challenges associated with maintaining the necessary 24-hour availability of the ER services.
- Individuals with curious minds, interested to develop knowledge in chemical emergency response with a view to taking on an engaging and different role which protects people and the environment.
What qualifications or experience should you have?
- A degree level qualification in Chemistry or related subject, with post-graduate experience working with chemicals or in the chemical industry.
- Working knowledge of chemical hazard communication e.g., safety data sheets and labelling, transport of dangerous goods, hazardous chemical waste disposal, COSHH.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a supervisory or team leadership role, with a desire to build on this skillset and an interest in supporting and developing others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience of communicating scientific information to a range of internal and/or external customers.
- No prior experience in chemical emergency response is required, full training will be provided.
What will be your responsibilities?
- To supervise our front-line team of emergency responders, who provide chemical advice and information over the phone to callers dealing with incidents such as chemical reactions, fires, spillages, and exposures.
- The main focus of the role is to provide technical support and direction on what actions can be taken to bring complex and dynamic incidents to a safe resolution. However, you would be expected to take calls during busy periods and assist with operational challenges.
- You will collaborate with our customer service team to provide technical support in communications with customers.
- You will provide direct team leadership to several members of the team. Providing guidance, instruction, and direction with the aim of supporting them meeting their individual goals, in line with Ricardo’s wider objectives.
- You will liaise with senior team members to facilitate the professional development of your team members and be the main point of contact for pastoral support in line with Ricardo’s values.
- Over time you will be expected to play a key role in the initial training and continual professional development of the ER team. As well as having the opportunity to develop your mentoring and coaching skills.
- You will join a small team of supervisors providing out of hours (evenings/overnight & weekends) ‘on call’ support to the ER team on a rota basis, covering on average one week in four.
- You will provide shift cover to the core team (30 shifts per year), these will be split across different working hours, including nights, and weekend work.
- You will build a good understanding of ER infrastructure, IT, and systems, so that first line resolutions to delivery issues are actioned, ensuring 24/7/365 availability of our ER services.
- Remuneration for out of hours ‘on call’ and shift cover is provided as an additional support responder allowance.
Want to work here?
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work where you have an opportunity to make a difference. You will work alongside teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Plus, you will have the fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us. We take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals, including mental health first aiders and our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, equality, and inclusion are core to our culture, learn about this in detail here: https://www.ricardo.com/en/who-we-are/our-culture
Ricardo is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested in benefits?
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Ready to apply?
After submitting your application our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications received for the role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.