Emergency Response Supervisor
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Emergency Responder Supervisor
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary Range: £30,000-£40,000 per annum plus benefits
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
Growth and Opportunity
Today NCEC is part of Ricardo Plc, a leading environmental and sustainability consultancy combining expertise across energy, climate change, air quality, transport, policy, water, waste, data science and chemicals. The role of Emergency Response Supervisor is to provide support to our team of consultants who provide 24/7 telephone-based Emergency Response information to callers dealing with chemical emergency incidents. This support will range from hands-on, real time advice to responders dealing with complex and rapidly changing incidents, through to instructing, coaching and mentoring the responder team to develop their skills, knowledge and careers. Training will be available to support the development of specific knowledge around emergency response advice. We are looking for an experienced supervisor, with good chemistry knowledge who can make a strong contribution towards developing the team and ensuring that we continue to deliver support that exceeds our caller’s and customer’s expectations.The role would be particularly suited to people with experience in the hazardous chemical waste sector, chemical hazard communication regulations, dangerous goods transportation, or practical chemists with supervisory experience wanting to transfer into an office-based environment.
- First line support to the emergency responder team. This will involve monitoring the deployment of emergency response consultants on calls and providing support when required. Support can involve stepping in to provide additional call response directly to our callers during busy periods. But more often providing additional technical support and guidance to the team when they are advising on complex and dynamic incidents.
- Provision of out of hours support on a rota basis, covering one week in four. Whilst on-duty the emergency response supervisor is available to receive calls in the evenings / overnight and during weekends from the emergency responder team, where they require additional support.
- Working 30 days of cover shifts per year, these will be split across different working hours, including nights, and weekend work.
- Building a good understanding of IT and back up systems so that first line resolutions to delivery issues are actioned, ensuring 24/7/365 availability of our emergency response services.
- Play a key role in the training and development of the emergency responder team. This will include training of new team members, identifying areas for overall team development and providing coaching support for team members.
- Working with NCEC’s customer service team to provide technical support in communications with customers.
- Degree level qualification in Chemistry or related subject, with five years post-graduate experience.
- Minimum of two years track record of supervisory or team leader experience.
- Working knowledge of chemical hazard communication eg. safety data sheets and labelling, transport of dangerous goods, hazardous chemical waste disposal, COSHH.
- Happy working under tight timelines associated with providing emergency response advice and also having the self-motivation to work on longer term development projects.
- Clear verbal and written communication skill, with experience of communicating scientific information to a range of internal and/or external customers.
- A flexible approach to work will be required to successfully meet the challenges of rapidly changing priorities associated with the environment of 24/7 emergency response work.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Chemist to further develop their supervisory and management experience. NCEC provides the opportunity to work with the emergency services and organisations from across the Chemicals manufacturing and distribution sectors. You will have the opportunity to work within a market leading team committed to delivering high quality chemical emergency response services to protect people, the environment assets and the reputations of our customers.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.