Waste Carbon Junior Consultant
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role Title: Waste Carbon/LCA (Junior Consultant)
Flexible - London / Harwell / Bristol (Office or Home based)
Salary: £21,000 - £35,000
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are seeking an intelligent, self-motivated graduate to join our consultancy team as a Junior Consultant within our Waste and Resource Management Business Area. This role will have a particular focus on modelling the carbon impacts of waste systems. Waste managers are increasingly interested in their role in decarbonisation of our economy and we are working on a wide range of projects for Local Authorities, waste management companies, national bodies and trade organisations.
From day one, you’ll be part of a team supporting senior consultants in delivering projects to our clients. The successful applicant will have strong numeracy and analytical skills gained from an environmental or scientific background, together with a proactive, organized approach and a pride in the quality of their work. We expect applicants to have, or be keen to develop, technical expertise in the resource efficiency, waste management, or carbon, and will encourage this through project involvement and a graduate training programme.
As a Junior Consultant, you’ll produce research and analysis that underpins our consultancy work. You will manage your time across several projects, contributing in all phases - from supporting the preparation of proposals to win new contracts, through researching and analysing information and data, to contributing to reports that are delivered to clients. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work, and liaise with other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
In addition, you may sometimes be required to provide administrative support to the practice, supporting our team administrator when workloads demand. This may involve booking train tickets, hire cars and international flights, photocopying, scanning and filing project records, and arranging meetings and taking notes at those meetings etc.
Successful candidates must have the following skills and characteristics:
- A Bachelors, Masters or PhD in a scientific subject;
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong PC literacy – especially in MS Excel and Word;
- Be flexible, resilient and enthusiastic;
- Be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as operate effectively as part of a team.
Desirable competencies and experience:
- An interest in modelling the carbon/LCA impacts of waste management systems
- Must be able to conduct appropriately referenced research with minimal guidance, and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions from its analysis
- Ability to interpret complex issues and data, and identify solutions quickly
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports
- Aptitude or experience in any of the following
- An ability to process and understand waste related data to enable it’s use as part of a project / model
- Comfortable developing, using and reviewing waste related models, predominantly in Excel i.e. massflows, collection/resourcing models, option analysis/costing, etc
- Knowledgeable about the UK waste market and the key players, service models and technologies
- Energy and carbon management planning and strategy
- Net Zero strategy development and associated Science Based Targets
- Carbon accounting, compliance, and measurement techniques and calculation methods for scopes 1 and 2 and CR reporting software, understanding of scope 3 emissions sources
- Carbon footprinting
- Carbon data analysis and modelling
- Life Cycle Assessment
Desirable skills and behaviours:
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel;
- Project/task management to ensure clients’ needs are met;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a project team in delivering high quality work;
- High attention to detail and accuracy in all work;
- Good time management;
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines.
If you feel you demonstrate these capabilities, possess excellent communication skills, are driven and proactive then we would welcome your application.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.