Senior Consultant / Consultant - Chemicals Policy
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Bristol, London, Manchester, Flexible, UK, Madrid
- Closing Date
Role Title: Senior Consultant / Consultant Chemicals Policy
Location: UK Flexible, Hybrid working.
Role ID: 2022-1574
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Senior Consultant or Consultant to join our Chemical policy team.
The Environmental Policy team at Ricardo work in partnership with governmental and private sector organisations on the development, implementation and evaluation of environmental policies, strategies and plans. The team predominately supports public sector clients such as national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies (e.g. the World Bank), as well as working for private sector clients. We deliver high-profile studies in areas that include industrial pollution control, water policy, air quality, chemicals policy, climate mitigation and adaptation and the circular economy. In the field of chemicals policy, our Environmental Policy team is linked with the staff running the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC).
In response to our recent successes we are further growing our Environmental Policy team: we have a vacancy for a Senior Chemicals Policy / Consultant Chemicals Policy. The role will primarily involve working on chemicals policy studies but not exclusively: there is the potential to support other policy areas too, such as industrial emissions, waste and circular economy, sustainable transport, climate change and energy.
- Working in international, multi-disciplinary teams, your primary role will be assisting the leadership of the expansion of our chemicals policy work area. This will involve responsibility for:
- Designing, managing and undertaking studies involving policy development, implementation and assessment across a wide range of policy and topic areas, with emphasis on chemicals policy
- Exploring opportunities with new and existing customers
- Establishing and expanding relationships with partners
- Leading complex policy proposals, including as responses to invitations to tender
- Providing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports, as well as contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Presenting Ricardo’s work at client meetings and conferences
- Helping the development of more junior staff.
Key competencies and experience:
- Qualified to Bachelor’s degree level in chemistry, environmental science, policy, engineering, law, economics, or a closely related subject
- Relevant experience within consultancy, government, research or industry, including at least some experience in consultancy
- Knowledge and experience working on chemicals policy and strategies in the EU and/or the UK. Understanding of the EU chemicals legislative framework, primarily REACH and CLP.
- Experience with the process of policy development and implementation, evaluation of technical and policy measures, cost-benefit analysis, data collection, validation and analysis
- Experience in managing projects for international organisations and/or European Commission and/or national governments
- The ability to interact with policy makers at national and/or international level
- Excellent report writing skills (concise and precise English)
- Track record in writing winning proposals
- Excellent desk-based analytical research skills
- Qualified to Master’s degree level in chemistry, environmental science, policy, engineering, law, economics, or a closely related subject
- Experience in BPR, PPPR, Waste legislation and OSH legislation
- Knowledge of the impacts of human and environmental exposure to chemicals
- Knowledge/experience of methods for assessing social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures
- Experience in analysis of alternatives and socio-economic assessment, particularly in relation to assessments under REACH.
- Knowledge and experience working on environmental legislation and strategies in the EU and the UK relating to areas other than chemicals policy
- Fluency in other European languages
Skills and behaviours
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Leadership and team-working skills
- Effective problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, combined with strong influencing skills
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.