Senior Consultant - Climate Change Policy
- Role type
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), London, Madrid, Manchester
- Closing Date
Role Title: Senior Climate Change Policy Consultant
Job ID: 2022-1564
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
The role is a position with responsibility for:
- Monitoring market developments and inputting to company business development activities to take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Development and maintenance of close client and partner relationships to support the winning of new business.
- Contributing to complex proposals and leading simpler ones.
- Leading medium sized projects or tasks within larger projects
- Supporting the delivery of projects. This involves working within teams to achieve client satisfaction, timely delivery, strong project financial performance and high quality technical outputs.
- Participating in capacity building activities including workshop facilitation and presentation delivery.
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings.
Key competencies and experience:
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level specializing in scientific, engineering, environmental, legal or economic fields.
- Experience contributing to business development and/or competitive bid writing in a consultancy environment is essential.
- Experience working within multidisciplinary teams is essential, and experience managing project teams would be an advantage.
- Previous experience working within projects for clients such as the European Commission, World Bank, GIZ, EBRD, Asian Development Bank and UK Government would be desirable.
- Good understanding of the energy and climate change policy landscape, gained during studies or work experience, in one or more of the following areas:
- EU energy and climate change policy especially the measures implemented under the Energy Efficiency directive, EU Emissions Trading Directive and the Effort Sharing Regulation.
- International climate change negotiations especially the market mechanisms envisaged under the Paris Agreement.
- Carbon taxes and trading systems in place or planned around the world.
- UK low carbon initiatives especially the Net Zero agenda, Clean Growth Strategy, Industrial strategy and decarbonisation policy measurers.
Skills and behaviours:
- Strong project delivery skills with track record in contributing towards large and/or complex projects.
- Experience leading projects or tasks within large projects is essential.
- Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage. Strong Spanish or French language skills proven in a consultancy environment will be considered a particular strength.
- Strong oral and written communication essential, including concise and precise report writing.
- Strong analytical skills essential.
- Good team worker.
- Strong level of commercial awareness and appreciation for project financial management principles would be an advantage.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.