Health & Safety Lead - Environmental Fieldwork
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Fieldwork Safety Lead
Location: Flexible: Harwell/Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow
Salary range: £30,000 to £45,000
Role ID: 1547
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Fieldwork Safety Lead to join our Water team who have an excellent track record in supporting the water industry and airports is resulting in substantial and exciting growth of our Water & Environment Team.
A key component of our growth is our multidisciplinary fieldwork team who capture hydrometry, water quality, ecological and aerial imagery data from terrestrial, river, groundwater and coastal environments. To support this team, we require a Fieldwork Safety Lead to oversee all aspects of fieldwork safety, with a particular focus on water safety.
- You will work as part of a wider Health and Safety management team, providing specific oversight for fieldwork activities.
- The role will have responsibilities for the management of our risk assessment processes, method statements and guidance, requiring a familiarisation with the activities we undertake in the field and appraisal of the issues and risks faced.
- You will manage the auditing of our field teams against our procedures, identifying areas for improvement and training requirements.
- Critical to this role is an appreciation of the full range of risks faced from operating in the full range of outdoor environments.
- Ideally having experience of implementing and overseeing fieldwork safety policies, you will have an ambition to help drive our business forward by maintaining our excellent health and safety record and spearheading future improvements.
- A key requirement is for effective integration of health and safety improvements into our day-to-day fieldwork consultancy services.
Key competencies and experience
- We are looking to appoint a Fieldwork Safety Lead who has relevant experience in delivering safety management in the outdoor environment.
- Of particular interest is an understanding of and experience in river and coastal environments.
- Understanding of relevant UK Health and Safety regulations.
- NEBOSH or NCRQ Certificate and relevant membership of IOSH.
- Outdoor risk assessment and method statement management.
- Small boat handling experience with appropriate RYA/MCA certification.
- Management of personal protective equipment.
- Management of health and safety training programme.
- Site visit auditing experience.
- CSCS card.
- A clean full UK driving licence.
Skills and behaviours
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Good collaborative team working and communication skills.
- The ability to manage and prioritise workload.
- Effective stakeholder liaison skills, including keeping others up to date with progress.
- Ability to manage and work to tight project deadlines and under pressure.
- Ability to support technical input into proposals.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.