Senior Consultant - Human Factors
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role: Senior Consultant- Human Factors
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any Ricardo Rail UK office (Derby, York, Bristol or London, Paddington) / Hybrid working
Role ID: 2022-1545
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Senior Consultant - Human Factors
Ricardo has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and motivated senior Human Factors adviser.
As a senior member of our Human Factors team you will be responsible for delivering a range of projects, providing your insight and expert analysis on human performance risks and appropriate design solutions.
Our multidisciplinary teams are currently engaged on a range of projects in partnership with a diverse list of clients and industry partners, allowing you to develop your technical and commercial project delivery skills. You will have opportunities to work alongside large, industry leaders such as Network Rail, Hitachi, RSSB and Transport for London, as well as new and innovative suppliers who are instrumental in shaping the ways that our railways will evolve and adapt to meet contemporary challenges.
Your experience managing Human Factors Integration activities and analyses will be key to guiding project teams through a range of risk-based human-centred design activities, helping to assure the safety, efficiency, comfort and accessibility of systems.
Our UK rail team is looking for a consultant with demonstrable experience managing Human Factors project activities and providing technical leadership on Human Factors issues.
At Ricardo we want to help create a safe and sustainable world, and we have a reputation for providing our clients with specialist analyses and thoughtful solutions that help them to understand and solve complex problems. This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a real difference and to advance your career.
We provide our clients – designers, operators, manufacturers, maintenance companies, and industry regulators – with specialist technical support including systems engineering, safety and environmental disciplines, to help improve performance, safety and sustainability. Examples of our current projects include:
- Assessing Crossrail station designs to ensure accessibility;
- Supporting the design of modern control rooms and traffic management systems to ensure effective supervision and control over automated railway operations;
- Supporting the modernisation of freight cabs with ETCS signalling system;
- Researching the practical application of rules governing train horn warnings, to try and reduce track worker and pedestrian fatalities on the railway
We are seeking an experienced, intelligent and motivated senior consultant to join the Human Factors team. Based in our London, Derby or Bristol Offices, you will provide support and advice internally and to clients and multidisciplinary stakeholders, across a broad range of projects, topics and issues, including:
- Human Factors Integration planning
- Management of progressive assurance activities and evidence
- Management of Human Factors issues/risks and derived design requirements
- Identification and application of appropriate industry standards and good practice guidance
- Scoping and delivery of appropriate Human Factors activities and methodologies, including task analysis, human error assessment, workload assessment, workstation and interface design, alerts and alarms management
Key competencies and experience
- A relevant undergraduate or master’s degree in a subject related to Human Factors/Ergonomics, Psychology, Systems Engineering, or similar;
- Chartered member status with the CIEHF, or evidence of equivalent experience and competencies to achieve this in the short term;
- A genuine interest in how we optimise human performance; including evidence of modules of study covering topics such as ergonomics, human-system interface design, human performance, psychology, or similar;
- At least five years’ experience as a Human Factors adviser to organisations operating in complex, high reliability environments; including at least two years demonstrated experience within the rail environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication, consultation, and facilitation skills and the ability to deal effectively with people at all levels.
- A proactive, organised approach and a commitment to producing high quality work with a high level of attention to detail.
As a Senior Consultant, you will need to manage your time across several projects and provide support and coaching to junior members of the team, with responsibility for the quality and delivery of your work, peer reviews within the team, and for effective project management. Our senior consultants are pivotal to our success in managing technical excellence, efficient planning, budgeting and delivery of high quality work.
You will manage and contribute to projects through all phases – from the preparation of proposals and new bids through to delivering work and managing project delivery. As a representative of Ricardo you will work closely clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project, also helping to foster key relationships in industry. You will help scope resource and cost estimates, manage delivery of smaller projects or take ownership of specific work packages as part of a larger programs.
You will demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills to help ensure effective engagement and collaboration with clients and stakeholders, helping the team to identify and proactively manage any emergent risks that may impact positive project outcomes.
Growth and Development Opportunities
You will gain all the benefits you can expect from a career in a respected technical consulting organisation like Ricardo, whether that involves taking advantage of opportunities to work on international assignments; a period embedded ‘full time’ on-site within client project teams; or just by being part of a global community of engineering graduates developing their knowledge and careers together. We have teams working on railway projects in China, Australia, Middle East, Netherlands, Canada and the US.
As part of the Ricardo Group we are also closely aligned with the Energy and Environment Business and Automotive Business and there are opportunities to work across these teams to gain broader experience.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
- Great working environment with ability to blend working in office/ at home
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- LinkedIn Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.