Associate Director - Environmental Impact Assessment
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time
- London, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Manchester, Bristol
- Closing Date
Role: Associate Director – Environmental Impact Assessment
Location: London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Harwell, Hybrid
Salary range: £55,000 - £80,000
Role ID: 1531
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
Our excellent track record in supporting the water industry is resulting in substantial and exciting growth of our Water & Environment Team. We have long-term relationships with many of the UK’s water companies and service multiple environmental frameworks and sizeable capital water and wastewater projects. Indeed, we are currently working on some of the most exciting projects in the industry, including large and nationally important strategic resource options (SROs). Added to this, our growing focus on innovative water and environmental solutions alongside a wider array of consultancy services, means we are seeking to appoint an experienced Associate Director or Principal Environmental Consultant with both a strong technical background and the ability to lead high profile projects and programmes of work to completion.
- We are looking for a proven or up and coming environmental leader with experience of working on major water sector environmental assessment projects in the UK.
- To play a key part in delivery of exciting environmental assessment projects, working closely with an established client base.
- As part of a wider team of multi-disciplinary water and environmental experts, but critical to this role is understanding various environmental strands and linkages to support us in helping solve sometimes complex environmental challenges via a well organised and collaborative approach.
- Together with strong project/programme management/direction skills, you will have an ambition to help drive our business forward by delivering excellent environmental assessment services.
- A key requirement is for the effective oversight of large projects and programmes of work.
- The role will require good commercial understanding and the ability to own client and stakeholder relationships. Maintaining quality of service is essential, whilst balancing client needs and environmental regulatory requirements. People management experience and an appetite for developing new business would also be welcome.
- Although, this role will sit within our Evidence and Policy business unit you will have the opportunity to work across all areas of Ricardo Energy and Environment to develop new business opportunities in the field of environmental assessment.
- You will be expected to contribute as part of a wider national team, working closely with colleagues in Manchester, Bristol, Harwell and London in particular.
Key competencies and experience
- Excellent understanding of the UK water industry and its regulation.
- Experience of managing technically complex water EIA projects.
- Sound knowledge of the UK planning system and consenting processes such as town and country planning and/or development consent orders.
- Expert understanding and experience of applying EIA processes and best practice.
- Strong project and programme management/direction capabilities.
- Experience of effectively managing client relationships and stakeholders.
- Appreciable leadership skills in a multi-disciplinary delivery setting.
- An environmentally related degree (ideally with a post-graduate qualification also).
- A clean full UK driving licence.
Skills and behaviours
- Excellent organisational, communication and presentation skills.
- Collaborative leader who has ability to develop and support others.
- Ability to effectively manage resources and prioritise workload.
- Effective multi-stakeholder management skills, including internally and externally.
- Organised and able to contend with competing operational demands and pressures.
- Client-facing, opportunistic and comfortable with identifying and developing opportunities.
- Keen to develop personally and own appreciable segments of our service offering.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.