Senior/Principal Consultant - Organic Waste Treatment
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role: Senior/Principal Consultant - Organic Waste Treatment
Location: UK Flexible
Salary range: £40,000 - £65,000
Role ID: 2022-1530
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Senior/Principal Consultant to join our Waste and Resource Management team.
Our Waste and Resource Management practice provides a wide range of consultancy services to the waste management industry. One of our key disciplines is waste infrastructure, providing technical advice ranging from feasibility studies and due diligence through to technical advisory and owners engineering roles for our valued clients.
We specialise in a range of waste treatment techniques from established processes through to emerging technologies utilising thermal, biological and mechanical separation to minimise waste and extract value wherever possible.
We are currently looking to expand our team with organic waste treatment experts, to service our expanding client list within the UK and also Middle East and Australia.
In this role, you may be expected to get involved in a broad range of projects involving organics recycling technologies such as AD, MBT and composting, including:
- Feasibility studies;
- Due diligence for development projects and operational assets;
- Independent opinion and expert witness services to legal clients in disputes;
- Technical assessor performing options appraisals for EOI bids;
- Production of technical specifications and documentation;
- Bidding for new projects and opportunities;
- Lead auditor for independent sustainability audit reporting for AD facilities; and
- Project Engineer / Owner’s Engineer / Process Design Engineer for various facilities.
You will join our team of recognised industry experts with a range of backgrounds and specialisms, providing tailored technical, market, commercial and regulatory support to private and public sector clients in the UK and around the world..
Key accountabilities may include:
- Lead on the provision of technical advice relating to biological treatment processes (primarily AD, MBT, composting).
- Ability to review process and mechanical engineering documents, including but not limited to:
- equipment schedules,
- control philosophies,
- functional design specifications,
- scoping documents
- mass balances.
- Lead on technical due diligence studies in relation to organic waste treatment processes.
- Act as technical advisor regarding organic waste treatment processes to a range of public and private organisations regarding the delivery of waste infrastructure.
- Production of feasibility and scoping studies to assist clients in making financial investment decisions
- Produce basis of design documentation to assist procurement services.
- Ensure that designs meet health and safety requirements, legislative requirements, established industry “Best Practice”, user requirements, cost limits and time scales.
- Produce tender enquiry documents in respect of contracts for the provision of process systems / services.
- Producing, reviewing, verifying and approving technical specifications, assessing tender returns and providing technical support to those packages throughout the design, construction, installation, commissioning, operation and decommissioning phases of the project to ensure that the design intent is maintained.
- Provision of process engineering support for the development and design of organic waste processing plants including AD and composting.
- Incorporating lessons learnt for use on other projects.
- Attending hazard identification and HAZOP studies.
- Providing technical expertise into the assessment of disputes and insurance claims involving the performance of waste treatment facilities.
- Managing the work and task of other junior process engineers.
- Ensure cross discipline collaboration with other internal and external engineers.
- Lead and manage internal engineering teams in the production of bids, tenders and full detailed design from concept to handover.
- Monitor and comment on sub-contractors work as may be required on individual projects.
- Contribute to the Engineering Team by attending as and when required regular team meetings and courses to ensure that changes in legislation and Company policies are fully complied with.
Key competencies and experience
- Qualified engineer with broad technical capabilities in the field or organic waste treatment and biological processes.
- Previous involvement and extensive experience in site-based engineering projects, preferably in the waste treatment sector.
- Able to critically analyse design, manufacturing and technical engineering matters to bring them to conclusion.
- Good report writing skills
- Ability to mentor and support the development of junior engineers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients.
- Able to communicate concise and accurate technical information in both written and verbal forms.
- Significant experience in a similar environment.
- Qualified Chartered Engineer in relevant field.
- Consultancy experience
- Experienced in delivering technical due diligence assessments for Clients (such as developers/funders).
- The potential and commitment to be mentored in order to act as a named expert witness.
- Good commercial acumen with experience of different forms of contract.
Skills and behaviours
- Commercially minded technical consultant.
- Receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn.
- Able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work.
- Good time management.
- Able to meet (multiple) deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.