Senior Safety/RAMS Consultant
- Role type
Position Title: Senior Safety/RAMS Consultant
Company: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any UK Ricardo Office/ Hybrid
Due to continued growth, our UK Ricardo Rail team is looking for talented, ambitious Senior Safety/ RAMS Consultants to work on a wide range of safety engineering projects and to become future leaders of the business. Ideally you will have 10+ years’ experience either in risk management, systems engineering, RAMS or safety engineering and are enthusiastic, curious and self-motivated.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects and support the development of junior team members. You will be part of our rapidly growing and dynamic team of experienced safety engineers delivering high quality work to clients, sometimes to demanding timescales.
We are keen to hear from people who are driven, with ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Our people are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme. We are committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion; we are a signatory of the Women in Rail EDI Charter.
As a Senior Safety/ RAMS consultant you will be responsible for leading safety engineering/ RAMS projects for clients in compliance with relevant international standards such EN50126, EN50129 or IEC 61508 and/or CSM-RA.
You will meet and develop relationships with key engineering leaders and rail decision makers as well as enhancing your own technical capabilities. In a client facing role, you will be expected to combine sound engineering knowledge and judgement, with excellent communication skills, to deliver high-quality technical service to clients.
As a Senior Safety/ RAMS Engineer within a consultancy environment, your key responsibilities relate to bidding, winning and delivering commercially successful projects. In doing so, you will:
- Lead safety engineering activities for a wide range of rolling stock, signalling and infrastructure projects to ensure compliance with the CSM RA, EN5016/8/9 and relevant standards.
- Facilitate HAZOP / HAZID workshops and being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up the workshops.
- Manage risk assessments for specific discipline areas, being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up risk workshops.
- Manage and deliver larger projects, working with clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- Lead business development and write proposals; liaising with clients to secure work. In doing so, identify potential risks, devise method statements, specify clear acceptance criteria, and generate resource and cost estimates.
- Represent Ricardo Rail at industry events and committees.
- Support process development, guidance document creation and white papers
- Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle
- Proactive liaise with clients, regulatory bodies and other project stakeholders.
Technical expertise & skills required:
We consider it essential that you can demonstrate:
- the Common Safety Method on Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM RA) regulation, EN50126/8/9, or equivalent from another industry.
- the application of engineering safety management.
- hazard identification and analysis techniques and management of hazards through hazard records / hazard logs.
- Systems and safety engineering experience - ability to decompose a system context from project documentation, read and understand standards and understand key element/interfaces.
- Experience of working in major rail infrastructure upgrade projects or alternatively, a level of consultancy experience in producing assessment and deliverables for large projects. Relevant experience in industries other than rail will be considered.
- Project management skills to deliver on a range of projects to quality, time and budget
- Ability to write well structured, high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions, including an ability to tailor your style to meet client requirements and deliver high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- Lead technical discussions, technical solution presentation to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a consultancy environment including the need for flexibility and client-satisfaction. This includes understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs. Your experience does not need to be within a consultancy environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including the capability to engage positively with clients and colleagues as part of a consultancy project team, and to influence decision-makers. This includes the ability to present technical information to customers in clear, complete, concise and unambiguous terms.
Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- LinkedIn Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.
Ricardo Group is a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specialises in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors. We are members of a community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges. In addition to our core technical engineering consultancy services, we support our clients with strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
As part of the wider Ricardo family, the Rail Division provides world-class expertise in critical and complex railway systems. We operate across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australasia, employing over 600 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects. Together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success. Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.