Principal Aquatic Ecologist
- Role type
- London, Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield, Flexible, UK
- Closing Date
Role: Principal Aquatic Ecologist
Location: Harwell, London, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow - Hybrid
Salary range: £45,000 - £60,000
Role ID: 1533
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for an experienced Principal Aquatic Ecologist to join our Ecology team within the Water Practice.
- Act as technical lead for the production of consent related technical assessments such as the Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA), Water Framework Directive (WFD), European Protected Species (EPS) and/or Marine Conservation Zone (MCZ) Assessment.
- Provide technical leadership across the Ecology team to deliver inputs across all project stages from bidding/feasibility/optioneering, extensive field survey programming, detailed design and assessment.
- Provide leadership that will drive and develop technically excellent services and identify new opportunities across the market to sustain continued growth and expansion in the team.
- Have a willingness, appetite and enthusiasm for new challenges and for being central to the growth and continual technical development of our Ecology team
Key competencies and experience
- A first degree in a relevant subject, such as ecology or other biological sciences, and/or a relevant postgraduate qualification;
- Have at least 10 years’ commercial consultancy experience and have Full Membership of CIEEM and/or Chartered Ecologist status.
- Extensive knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques.
Skills and Behaviour
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports.
- Excellent team working skills are therefore essential together with strong communication skills.
- Be able to represent Ricardo and its clients to key stakeholders, including wide-ranging technical engagement and consultation with regulators, local authorities, NGOs and the general public.
- Post graduate qualification (Masters or Doctorate).
- Experience in providing clients with the accurate and proportionate technical and consenting advice in relation to DCOs and significant infrastructure projects in the UK.
- Experience in Project Direction and technical reviews.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.