Analyst Consultant Environmental Policy
- Role type
- Contract, Full time, Permanent
- Bristol, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Madrid
- Closing Date
Role: Analyst Consultant/Economist Environmental Policy
Location: Bristol, Machester, Harwell, Madrid.
Salary range: £25'000-£31'200
Role ID: 2022-1528
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
In response to our recent successes we are expanding our Environmental Policy team: we have a vacancy for an Analyst Consultant to work on a range of exciting and innovative projects.
We are seeking an intelligent and self-motivated recent graduate with a science, engineering or economics degree to join the Environmental Policy consultancy team. This role will provide the perfect first step into a consultancy career in an exciting and rapidly changing sector.
As an Analyst Consultant, you will support the delivery of technical projects, managing your time across several projects and business areas. You will be responsible for the delivery of tasks assigned to you, meeting time, cost and quality requirements, to ensure client satisfaction. From day one, you'll be part of a team supporting senior colleagues in delivering a portfolio of high-profile projects to clients. Specific tasks are likely to include researching and analysing information and data, contributing to reports and presentations that are delivered to clients, through to supporting the preparation of proposals to win new contracts. The role will support a diverse range of areas including air quality and emissions, industrial pollution control, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and the circular economy.
Key competencies and experience
- Educated to Master’s degree level: studies in engineering/science and/or environment and/or economics
- An understanding of European and/or international environmental policy issues, gained during studies or work experience
- A professional and diligent approach: accurate and attentive to detail
- Fluency in English
- Effective oral and written communication, including concise and precise report writing
- Strong PC literacy - especially in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Be flexible, proactive, resilient and enthusiastic
- Exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- A passion for the drive to create a more sustainable world, and a clear motivation to work for Ricardo and align with its values
- Be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as be an effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members
- Fluency in Spanish or other European languages
- Data science capability, including knowledge of Python
- Internship in environmental consultancy, Government, or academic research / think-tank
- Understanding of one or both of the following:
- Policy cycle (ex-ante impact assessment of policies and regulations, policy development and implementation, ex-post evaluation of policies and programmes)
- Tools and methods: survey design and execution, market analyses, cost-benefit analysis, data collection, validation and analysis, stakeholder consultation
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.