Senior or Principal Consultant - Sustainable Transport Fuels
- Role type
- Madrid, London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Role Title: Senior or Principal Consultant – Sustainable transport fuels
Senior range: £35'200 - £52'800
Principal range: £44'000-£66'000
Location: London (UK), Oxfordshire (UK), Manchester (UK), Madrid (Spain); Homeworking
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining transport, energy, climate change, environmental risk expertise with strong digital and economics capability. Operating across the world with passion and commitment , we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work and make a positive impact on the environment, the economy and society. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions to climate change and environmental issues, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Growth and Opportunity:
We are looking for a Senior or Principal Consultant (depending on experience) to join our Sustainable Transport team. You will have a previous track record in sustainable transport fuels and a strong interest in transport policy. Significant experience in low carbon fuels (feedstocks, conversion technologies and properties) and greenhouse gas emissions calculations in the transport context is essential. Experience in the broader environmental impacts and economics of low carbon fuels, and an understanding of the transport technologies utilizing these fuels is also desirable.
Our work is focused on strategic policy advice covering a very wide range of transport sector issues and plays an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. Projects are likely to include a combination of quantitative and qualitative analysis, including analysis of policy costs/benefits, stakeholder consultation, survey design/implementation and making policy recommendations. We also work with the private sector and support companies’ decarbonisation efforts, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice.
You will have the capacity to work flexibly across a range of thematic areas in transport and will collaborate closely with other technical experts in multi-disciplinary teams. You should enjoy solving complex analytical problems and demonstrate exceptional critical thinking skills. The role will also include carrying out stakeholder consultation with industry and government representatives. You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy and strategy development, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the transport system, the economy, the environment and society.
The role is a mid-level position with responsibility for:
Senior Consultant level:
- Leading and contributing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports
- Leading and contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Carrying out a wide range of stakeholder consultation activities
- Working effectively as a team member on a range of projects
- Leading specific project tasks and smaller projects.
Principal Consultant level:
- In addition to those listed for Senior Consultant:
- Leading project teams in the delivery of more complex project tasks or whole projects
- Senior-level expert quality assurance and technical review of project deliverables
- Leading large proposals around the subject matter of sustainable transport fuels
- Representing Ricardo and presenting our work at external events and engaging in wider business development activities.
- Becoming a team leader to supervise a small team of colleagues
Key Competencies and Experience:
- A first or upper second-class BSc (or Masters/PhD)
- Previous experience in consultancy is highly desirable. Experience of working on or managing European Commission and/or UK Government consultancy projects in particular is valuable
- Fluency in English is essential, fluency in other languages is desirable
- Knowledge of sustainable/low carbon fuels in the transport context is essential
- Experience in well-to-wheel and/or life-cycle assessment (LCA) of fuels is highly desirable
- Quantitative modelling skills for the deployment of transport fuels/technologies is desirable
- Experience in the economics and business models for new fuel technologies is also desirable.
Skills and behaviours:
- A previous specialism in transport fuels is essential
- A strong interest in transport policy and sustainability is highly desirable
- Excellent report-writing skills and verbal communication skills
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members
- Strong data analysis skills are also desirable (for example, using Excel, R or Python).
The role will be ideally based in our London, Oxfordshire or Madrid offices, depending on the successful candidate’s preference. We would also consider home working depending on location.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Flexibility, Wellbeing and work-life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that’s working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We’re happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme
Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion statement
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and proactively with all our employees and ensure an inclusive culture we are a recognised as a 'disability confident’ employer.
Our Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.