Senior Consultant - Environmental Policy
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- London, Bristol, Madrid, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Role:Senior Consultant - Environmental Policy
Location:London, Bristol, Harwell ( Oxfordshire), Madrid, Homeworker
Salary range: £35'000-£45'000
Role ID: 2022-1495
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
The Environmental Policy team at Ricardo works with clients operating at the heart of environmental policymaking who need impartial evidence. The team predominately supports public sector clients such as national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies (e.g. the World Bank), as well as working for private sector clients. We work with policymakers on the development (i.e. impact assessment), implementation and evaluation of environmental policies, strategies and plans.
Our objective technical expertise and robust economics generates high quality analysis that stands up to scrutiny. We deliver high-profile policy studies in areas that include industrial pollution control, water, air quality, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and the circular economy, among other topics. Ricardo is held in very high regard by our clients for the in-depth sector insight we demonstrate, our passion for delivering quality, and our reputation for producing innovative solutions.
Information about the role
Working in international, multi-disciplinary teams, you will help to win, manage and deliver high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. You will contribute to and lead the writing of high quality competitive proposals for customers and may also undertake other business development activities such as partner relationship management and participation in promotional events. You will have roles in managing medium sized projects (£50-100k) and delivering technical input for projects across policy development and implementation analysis; evaluating existing policy and technical measures; supporting cost-benefit analyses, carrying out stakeholder consultations and report writing. You will also have opportunity to support the development of more junior colleagues
Key competencies and experience
- Qualified to Bachelor’s degree level in environmental policy, science, engineering, law, economics, social sciences or a closely related subject
- Experience working within multidisciplinary teams
- Experience managing projects for the public sector (e.g. European Commission, UK Government) and/or other clients (e.g. World Bank, GIZ, EBRD, Asian Development Bank) with high level of commercial awareness and appreciation for project financial management principles
- Experience in competitive bid writing in a consultancy environment.
- Good knowledge and understanding of environmental legislation and strategies in Europe relating to one of: industrial pollution control, water policy, air quality, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and/or the circular economy.
- Familiarity with the process of policy development and implementation, evaluation of technical and policy measures, cost-benefit analysis, data collection, validation and analysis.
- Excellent written and spoken English, including concise and precise report writing
- Qualified to Master’s degree level in environmental policy, science, engineering, law, economics, social sciences or a closely related subject
- Experience working within projects for clients such as the European Commission, World Bank, GIZ, EBRD, Asian Development Bank and UK Government.
- Track record in writing winning proposals
- Experience in wider business development activities and relationship building
- Team / staff leadership
- Good knowledge and understanding of environmental legislation and strategies in Europe relating to more than one of: industrial pollution control, water policy, air quality, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and/or the circular economy.
- Fluency in other European languages
Skills and behaviours
- Demonstrate leadership and influencing
- Be a good team worker and experienced delegator
- Offer analytical, problem solving and creative thinking
- Have flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
- Bring energy and enthusiasm for growing the business
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.