Fuel Cell System Engineer
- Role type
We are a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specializes in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors.
Our work extends across a range of market sectors – including passenger cars, commercial vehicles, rail, defense, motorsport, energy and environment – and we are proud to possess a client list that includes transport operators, manufacturers, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges, with assignments that have included strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
In addition to our technical consultancy services, we have in-house engineering capabilities that enable us to design and deliver high-quality prototypes and low-volume manufacturing of complex products and assemblies, including engines, transmissions, electric motors and generators, battery packs and fuel cell systems.
- Perform, fuel cell related calculations, e.g., power, heat, air and hydrogen flow and system efficiency
- Create System architectures for fuel cell powertrain propulsion system
- Support packaging concepts of fuel cell, Hydrogen storage and thermal management systems, mass estimates and materials cost
- Perform trade-off studies
- Review standards and codes
- Develop Fuel Cell System requirements definition by working with clients and suppliers
- Develop sub-system and components engineering specifications
- Determine and define sub-system interfaces to optimize different aspects of the system such as field serviceability, system reliability and cost.
- Support preparation of project proposals
- Support integration of fuel cell system with vehicles
- Support on site commissioning activities
- Organize and lead meetings with internal cross functional teams or customers
- Develop fuel cell operational and controls strategies
- Develop DFMEA, DVP&R and test plans and procedures
- Provides timely and accurate department reports as appropriate and requested
- Delivers superior levels of client service to both internal and external clients while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion
- Performs duties independently or with minimal supervision/guidance; fully competent. Key individual contributor. May provide guidance to others.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- BSME or BSCE
- Minimum of 10 years experience in related assignments, Fuel Cell and Hydrogen systems, electrical powertrain design and development
- Strong understanding of, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid flow design and/or selection of mechanical components and structural design.
- Experience leading project teams and forecasting resources needs, costs and duration
- Knowledge of electric vehicle architectures, HV DC systems, and components
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in organizing and leading meetings with customers
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to meet cost and functional requirements
- Ability to work independently and with globally distributed teams
- Detailed understanding and experience in using Systems V-Model
- Familiarity with engineering development processes (block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc.).
- Experience troubleshooting electrical and mechanical systems
- Knowledge of Hydrogen storage systems, and hydrogen in general
- Knowledge of HV Batteries, Power Electronics, inverters and motor control
- Experience with environmental testing, e.g., shock, vibration.
- MSME, MSCE, MSEE, or other related advanced degree
- 15+ years’ experience
- Experience at an automotive OEM or Tier 1 supplier with multiple successfully delivered “Cradle to grave” programs
- Experience with engineering processes from concept development to production delivery and support
- Packaging – ability to address issues related to detailed design
- Knowledge of fuel cell related standards
- Experience in Model Based Systems Engineering methodology
- Experience in using Matlab, Simulink, AMESim and Visio
- Ability to establish development process tools from clean sheet or “own” established process until production release