Lead Power Electronics Engineer
- Role type
We are a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specializes in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors.
Our work extends across a range of market sectors – including passenger cars, commercial vehicles, rail, defense, motorsport, energy and environment – and we are proud to possess a client list that includes transport operators, manufacturers, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges, with assignments that have included strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
In addition to our technical consultancy services, we have in-house engineering capabilities that enable us to design and deliver high-quality prototypes and low-volume manufacturing of complex products and assemblies, including engines, transmissions, electric motors and generators, battery packs and fuel cell systems.
· Lead electrical engineering team to develop power electronics product designs for research and customer specific projects
· Create and Evaluate electrical designs and layouts for compliance with electrical requirements, EMC/EMI standards, and component specifications
· Represent the electrical design team in customer meetings
· Support development of HV electronics labs
· Responsible for the specification, design, development, testing & validation of high voltage power electronics for global electrified applications. This role can include bespoke designs, upgrade of existing designs, and applications engineering
· Design, develop, and test power electronics products for future electrified systems, including: AC/DC Chargers, DC/DC Converters, DC/AC Inverters
· Create Designs to meet requirements for appropriately sized Power modules, Gate drives, EMI/EMC filters, SPI communications, bus bar specifications and all related internal components
· Perform Circuit Simulation
· Create Schematics, Lead and participate in Design Reviews
· Work collaboratively with the Systems, Software/Controls, and Mechanical teams to ensure successful product development.
· Decompose system level requirements to drive component level design requirements.
· Create designs with a modular and scalable architecture that can be applied across a range of low-voltage and high-voltage electrified systems.
· Optimize designs for system performance, quality, DFM/DFA and cost.
· Test electrical hardware at circuit board and assembled product level
· Determine root cause for failed hardware or defective designs
· Leverage extensive product development assets including team members, test labs, and expert product development capabilities to deliver best-in-class performance, usability and quality.
· Work collaboratively across the North American and Global Ricardo group as well customers locally and internationally.
· Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
· 10+ years’ professional experience in high-voltage power electronics design, development and testing – focusing on DC/AC Inverters, DCDC Converters, On-Board Chargers, Power Distribution in Automotive, On/Off-Highway, Motorsports and Stationary power
· Experience working with 48V, 400V, and >800V voltage levels and component selections.
· Hands on experience in power electronics hardware development including design, debugging and validation of: Semiconductor switching waveforms, loss modeling and thermal management
· Strong communication, client awareness, and problem-solving skills
· Strong expertise in the application of IGBT, Si/SiC, and GaN MOSFET technology and selection
· Design experience with IGBT/MOSFET gate drive circuits
· Experience in PCB layout for power electronics (Altium preferred): minimal stray inductance, EMC/EMI optimization.
· 3 years’ experience in Design for Manufacturing, Design for reliability, DFMEA and fault trees.
· Knowledge of UL, CE and automotive safety requirements
· Ability to create a project plan that establishes resources (human, capitol, and outsource), effort, duration costs.
· Experienced in developing and maintaining supplier relationships.
· Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
· Extremely high attention to detail in all aspects of task execution
· Awareness of protection devices and safety issues
· Able to execute PCB bring-up, bench-test & determine root cause for issues identified
· Understanding of global industry standards and trends to provide the latest technology solutions.
· Ability to work with a global engineering team and global customer base
· Masters or PhD in EE Power Electronics and 8+ years’ of related experience
· Knowledge of feedback control and stability.
· Control expertise and digital implementation for power converters controls.
· Ability to create circuit board layouts
· Experience with production validation processes / DVP&R
· Experience with developing and validating product requirements