Senior or Principal Consultant - CCUS
- Role type
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and waste expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations Business Unit (BUs):
The BU’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy and heat supporting the netzero and low carbon agendas. SI&O is made up of ~220 people covering a range of disciplines at the ‘implementation’ end of the client value chain. Within the Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations business unit, we have a dedicated Heat Decarbonisation team, comprising a 30-strong team of engineers, consultants and project managers. This team is at the forefront of delivering heat decarbonisation solutions in the UK and internationally, from working with governments to develop policy, to implementation of low carbon heat solutions in the public and private sectors. As the demand for our services grow, we are seeking excellent consultants to add value to our team.
Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS)
Heat accounts for ~37% of the total UK carbon emissions and the decarbonisation of heat is the greatest challenge facing the UK (and beyond) in its transition to a net zero carbon economy. For intensive heat users in the hard to abate sector, the only viable option to decarbonise is through the implementation of carbon capture technologies, and the subsequent utilisation or storage of carbon.
Many CCUS technologies are in their infancy, and the scale and challenge to achieve a wider roll out of CCUS is recognised internationally. Ricardo has leading expertise and knowledge on many aspects related to CCUS including technology evaluation and assessment, due diligence, techno-economic analysis, life cycle and environmental impact assessment, market analysis and supply chain evaluation.
Over the past decade, we have supported both the public and private sectors on a wide range of CCUS topics. Our comprehensive understanding of the power generation and CO2 capture and industrial utilisation technologies as well as knowledge of the policy and regulatory landscape worldwide means that demand for our services is growing, and we are looking to further expand our team in this area.
We are looking for people
We are seeking a Senior or Principal Consultant to work within our CCUS team on a wide range of projects including:
- Assessment of new innovative CO2 capture technologies
- Concept development, feasibility studies and FEED studies
- Whole system analysis and comparison of technologies covering gas, coal and biomass fuels in a wide range of sectors including power generation, chemicals, gas processing, refineries, iron & steel and cement
- Life cycle emission analysis of energy systems with CCUS
- Evaluation of policy mechanisms and review of worldwide regulatory regimes for supporting CCUS,
- Development of innovative concepts for monitoring CCUS networks,
- Economic impact assessment of CCUS projects and assessment of value added to the UK from clean abatement technologies with CCUS,
- Assessment and due diligence of CO2 removal technologies in the anaerobic digestion (AD) sector for biogas upgrading,
- Evaluation of the CCS Directive on geological storage of CO2
The successful candidate will have:
- An understanding of CCUS/BECCS technologies, costs, economic impacts, environmental and life cycle assessment, and potential business models
- An understanding of the policies and market development issues relating to CCUS
- An understanding of how the use of biomass for energy fits into the wider bioeconomy, including sustainability issues and carbon emissions
- A relevant scientific or engineering background
- Excellent core consultancy skills – bid writing, project management, and project delivery
- Professional, diligent, and strong attention to detail
- Experienced in the preparation of proposals and, ideally an effective networker and business developer
- Excellent organizational abilities
- 4-8+ years experience
- Proven consultancy skills, or applicable skills from industry
- Experience in client management and business development
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.