Operations Manager (NCEC)
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) sits within Ricardo Energy & Environment and has a 40+ year reputation as a premium provider of global chemical emergency response provision. NCEC works with a global client base including 50% of the world’s top 100 chemical manufacturers and a large number of other public and private sector clients.
The Operations Manager role crosses the whole of the Emergency Response Business Area. Its aim is to support the delivery of the Emergency Response products through ensuring that the systems and processes used are both fit for purpose and reliable. The main product is a global multilingual telephone advice service covering chemical incidents, delivered on a 24/7 basis.
There are two key elements to the role, one focused on the day-to-day operations and the other looking at the future development of the delivery model.
The Operations Managers day to day responsibilities will involving working on our in-house systems to maintain and develop the service and will be working closely with the customer service and emergency response teams to achieve this. In order to deliver our service, we work with a number of subcontractors and it is expected that the Operations Manager would be responsible for development and maintenance of the relationships with those partners.
The second focus of the role is future development, where the Operations Manager would be responsible for the scoping and implementation of changes and improvements that will help us to maintain our position as a premium provider of emergency response. They would directly support the Business Area lead with the development and delivery of a multi-year strategy.
- Responsible for the creation of an Operations Plan and the delivery of the priority activities identified within it;
- Ensure availability of suitable systems to support resilient operations, e.g.: equipment, IT facilities, networks and databases;
- Ensure adequate maintenance and development of operational systems in line with user and market needs;
- Ensure suitable levels of contingency planning to manage planned and unplanned outages, together with the relevant written materials, training and exercising components;
- Be responsible for the maintenance and future development of the Emergency Response database which is an integral part of the delivery model;
- Conduct follow-up investigation of calls received via the telephone service, particularly where instigated by a customer query;
- Work with the ER team manager to identify processes for emergency call handling and ensure systems capability reflects these needs;
- Lead on the development of the Operations Consultant to be able to fully support the day-to-day activities
Key competencies and experience:
- Undergraduate degree or A-levels in a relevant subject(s)
- Appreciation of a telephone based call centre / helpline / IT service environment
- Some knowledge of IT and / or telephony networks from within a call centre / helpline environment
- Good level of IT literacy and numeracy skills
- Experience of project management to include delivery of projects from scoping through to implementation
- Effective problem-solving skills with ability to take responsibility for an issue and show initiative in finding resolution
- Organisational skills in relation to task management and time management
- Able to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks whilst meeting deadlines through effective prioritisation
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in a similar role, especially if gained in an emergency response context
- Skills associated with subcontractor management, including procuring new partners
- Experience of being a team leader and supporting others in their career development
Skills and behaviours:
- Capability to quickly learn about the delivery model and understand how all the components fit together
- Good team orientation and strong team working
- Methodical approach with good problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a sometimes fast-paced environment on a variety of tasks including reaction to occasional urgent client request.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Flexibility, Wellbeing and Work-life Balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that’s working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We’re happy to discuss flexible working arrangements.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo has a duty of care to ensure the health, safety, and wellbeing of its employees. Our wellbeing approach goes beyond this, in recognising that everyone has a life outside of work and may need support and encouragement from time to time to ensure that an effective work life balance is maintained
Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion Statement
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here.
We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can.
As part of our commitment to engage positively and proactively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident’ employer.
Our Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.