Principal Consultant - Environmental Impact Assessment
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time
- Manchester, Bristol, Oxfordshire (Harwell), London
- Closing Date
Role Title: Principal Consultant - Environmental Impact Assessment
Salary: £44,000 - £66,000
Location: Bristol, Harwell, London, Manchester or homebased
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Water & Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies and developers.
As a result of our growing pipeline of work we are looking for a Principal Consultant to join our environmental assessment team. This position is to play a leading role in the environmental assessment team securing work and directing, managing and working on projects. Our team provides technical expertise in all areas of environmental assessment including EIA and SEA. Ricardo Energy and Environment has established a reputation as one of the leading players in the UK covering the water sector. We are working on major strategic resource projects across the country for a variety of water companies. In addition, we undertake environmental assessment work, including EIA, for developers and local authorities in a range of sectors from waste and energy to mixed use development.
Although, this role will sit within our Evidence and Policy business unit you will provide environmental assessment work across all areas of Ricardo Energy and Environment. You will be expected to contribute as part of a wider national team, working closely with colleagues in Manchester, Bristol, Harwell and London in particular.
We are seeking an experienced consultant to help direct and manage our projects using internal and external resources. You will lead and manage projects and environmental assessment (e.g. EIA and SEA) inputs, collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and deliver all aspects of consultancy from tendering, budget control, leading projects, generating new business and nurturing existing client relationships.
Developing new business opportunities in the field of environmental assessment is an important component of the role. The team works with other teams in Ricardo and developing links and opportunities from existing clients as well as developing new clients will be a feature of this role. You will play an integral role in the continued growth and success of the environmental assessment team and wider business.
Day to day, you could expect this role to involve:
- Responsibility for managing and delivering a broad range of projects including bidding, client management and quality assurance.
- Technical and commercial responsibility for the projects to be delivered
- Helping grow the environmental assessment team / business.
These are just a few examples of the role responsibilities and work we are currently delivering.
Key competencies and experience:
- Experienced consultant with expert knowledge and practical experience of dealing with the UK planning system and the relevant EIA Regulations.
- Experience of delivering EIAs and working with multi-disciplinary teams on infrastructure projects.
- Degree level or post graduate qualification in town planning and/or environmental assessment.
- Chartered status (i.e. RTPI, IEMA).
- Sound knowledge of the UK planning system and consenting processes such as town and country planning and/or development consent orders.
- Strong communication and report writing skills as well as experience of liaising with planning authorities and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Strategic Environmental Assessment would be desirable.
Skills and behaviours:
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven professional consultancy experience.
- Experience of providing strategic advice to clients.
- A passion for delivering high quality work, identifying and securing new opportunities and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully growing the business.
- An excellent understanding of environmental impacts associated with major infrastructure developments and assessment methodologies sufficient to lead technical reviews of Environmental Statements.
- Strong project management skills with track record in leading complex proposals and projects.
- Proposal writing and winning public and private sector consultancy projects.
- Excellent organisational skills to co-ordinate multi-disciplinary environmental assessment teams, work collaboratively within large teams, and influence decision-making.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.