Consultant Heat Decarbonisation Team
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role Title: Consultant – Heat Decarbonisation
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire/Manchester/Glasgow/Flexible/Remote
£25,000 - £40,000
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and waste expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Heat accounts for ~37% of the total UK carbon emissions and the decarbonisation of heat is the greatest challenge facing the UK (and beyond) in its transition to a net zero carbon economy. Compared to the expansion of renewable electricity and transport, the delivery of low carbon heat has a greater number of technological, infrastructure, economic, consumer and market barriers to overcome. These challenges also represent opportunities – from improving the quality of building stock, transitioning to alternative energy sources, investment in infrastructure and heat networks, and the development of innovative technologies and fuel uses.
Our Heat Decarbonisation team
Within the Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations business unit, we have a dedicated Heat Decarbonisation team, comprising a 30-strong team of engineers, consultants and project managers.
This team is at the forefront of delivering heat decarbonisation solutions in the UK and internationally, from working with governments to develop policy, to implementation of low carbon heat solutions in the public and private sectors. As the demand for our services grow, we are seeking to further grow our team and are looking for excellent consultants to add value to our team.
We are seeking an experienced consultant to join the Heat Decarbonisation team CHP and Heat business area, who is passionate and knowledgeable in renewable heat solutions. You'll be part of an established team supporting senior consultants in delivering projects to clients, but with plenty of opportunity to develop your own work streams and progress your career within the team. You will have proven energy consultancy experience, excellent numeracy and analytical skills gained from a scientific or engineering background, strong writing and communication skills, a proactive, organised approach and a commitment to producing high quality work with a high level of attention to detail. The role involves working on our flag-ship government auditing programmes (CHP QA and Renewable Heat Incentive) in addition to working across a diverse range of projects for our private and public sector clients.
The role and key responsibilities
- Undertake data analysis of heating systems
- Undertake desk and site-based audits of renewable heating and CHP systems
- Produce high-quality, client-focused reports as part of project delivery
- Plan and develop projects, working with senior consulting colleagues
- Supporting team leaders in preparing tenders and proposals for new work
- Contribute to proposals for winning new work
- Join the broader Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations practice, network with colleagues, and engage other internal project opportunities
Skills and knowledge
- Knowledge of renewable heat technologies and systems
- Awareness and understanding of heat decarbonisation as part of net zero
- Data analysis and experience of applying these to energy and heat projects
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage workload
- Continous improvement mindset,
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above) or Masters, in an engineering, renewable energy or physical science subject
- Proven Energy consultancy experience
- A high level of numeracy and numerical analysis
- A professional and diligent approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Be flexible, proactive, resilient and enthusiastic
- Be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as operate effectively as part of a team
You will need to hold a Full UK Driving licence for this position, as the post will include UK travel as part of the delivery of our CHP and Renewable Heat audit programmes.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are always keen to hear from people who have drive, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusive approach as explained here.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.