Electromagnetic Compatibility Specialist
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, London, Preston, York
Position Title: Electromagnetic Compatibility Specialist
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any Ricardo UK office (Bristol, Derby, London, Preston, York)
Ricardo Rail is looking to strengthen its consultancy team both to support the delivery of existing projects, and to expand our offer to new clients and new territories.
We are seeking to recruit a Senior or Principal Consultant level Electromagnetic Compatibility Specialist (with at least ten years’ relevant experience) into our Engineering, Strategy and Performance Team to work on and manage a wide range of rolling stock, infrastructure and research-driven projects on behalf of manufacturers, owners and operators.
Projects may include:
- Generation of Electrical Engineering and Control Systems (EE&CS) Safety Cases using the Common Safety Method for rolling stock projects.
- Generation of engineering safety arguments and analysis using reliability analysis, fault-tree analysis, Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) and functional safety techniques.
- Demonstrating compatibility with between railway infrastructure systems / signalling compatibility etc. For example, against NR/GN/500xx, EN50238 & EN50121, UMTA standards.
- Assessment of electric traction switching harmonics, interlacing of converter harmonics, interaction with the OLE, operation of electric trains (traction & auxiliary equipment) etc.
- Measurement of test data and analysis (time series and Fast Fourier Transformation) to demonstrate compatibility using commercial software (Microcap, Matlab, MathCad, Diadem, Dasylab, Excel).
As an EMC Specialist most of your work will be rolling stock and infrastructure focused, although we are looking for flexible individuals who can also support electrical engineering activities across our wider portfolio of projects.
You will meet and develop relationships with client project and programme managers and will act as the client’s main point of contact for project delivery. In undertaking this client-facing role, you will be expected to combine deep engineering knowledge and sound judgement with strong communication skills to deliver a high-quality technical service to clients.
You will be adept at preparing high quality written reports, with the capability to present technical concepts and outputs to non-technical audiences.
You will also contribute to proposals with novel solutions to technically challenging client needs, drawing upon your formal training and your extensive experience to-date.
As an Electrical Engineer with a power / electrical machine / control bias within a consultancy environment, your key responsibilities relate to the requirement to bid, win and deliver successful projects. In doing so, you will:
- Support business development and write proposals. In doing so, identify potential risks, devise method statements, specify clear acceptance criteria, and generate resource and cost estimates.
- Manage and deliver projects, working with clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- Deliver electromagnetic analysis and support for a range of rolling stock and other projects.
- Liaise with clients, project stakeholders and other industry participants.
Technical Expertise and Skills:
We consider it essential that you can demonstrate:
- An interest and skills in mentoring/coaching colleagues.
- Ten or more years’ experience of working within the rail industry.
- A sound understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals and the application of electromagnetic theory.
- Significant experience in electromagnetic compatibility at a system and subsystem level, and a track record in using appropriate modelling tools to solve problems and demonstrate compatibility in a safety critical environment.
- A working knowledge of rolling stock design and/or maintenance, including associated issues (e.g. electric traction drives, switching harmonics and associated issues).
- Experience of working under the Common Safety Method, or equivalent, and an understanding of the standards and requirements applicable to the rail industry to enable generation of EE&CS Safety Cases demonstrating compatibility with the infrastructure.
A broad range of skills in relevant disciplines, such as:
- Creating and managing implementation of Engineering Change Proposals;
- Fault and failure investigation, including root-cause analysis and solution identification;
- Planning and supervision of testing activities (conducted currents, axle counter magnetic fields, EMF measurements, RFI measurements to EN5021)
- Analysis of measured data using commercial software packages to demonstrate compatibility to relevant standards
- A strong appreciation of working in a consultancy environment including the need for flexibility and client-satisfaction. This includes understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
- Good communication skills, including the capability to engage positively with clients and colleagues as part of a consultancy project team, and to influence decision-makers. This includes the ability to present technical information to customers in clear, complete, concise and non-ambiguous terms.
- Strong report writing skills, including an ability to tailor your style to meet client requirements and deliver high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- Good time-management skills & the ability to deliver on a range of concurrent projects to time and budget.
- A self-starter that can take a project forward and deliver it in a timely fashion.
- Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer (preferred)
Ricardo Group is a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specialises in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors. We are members of a community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges. In addition to our core technical engineering consultancy services, we support our clients with strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
As part of the wider Ricardo family, the Rail Division provides world-class expertise in critical and complex railway systems. We operate across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australasia, employing over 600 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects. Together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success. Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.
- Great working environment with ability to blend working in office/ at home.
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays and the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 additional days.
- Company pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- LinkedIn Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.