Senior/Principal Consultant – Heat Decarbonisation Team
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, UK, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Manchester, Glasgow
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and waste expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Heat accounts for ~37% of the total UK carbon emissions and the decarbonisation of heat is the greatest challenge facing the UK (and beyond) in its transition to a net zero carbon economy. Within the Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations business unit, we have a dedicated Heat Decarbonisation team, comprising a 30-strong team of engineers, consultants and project managers. This team is at the forefront of delivering heat decarbonisation solutions in the UK and internationally, from working with governments to develop policy, to implementation of low carbon heat solutions in the public and private sectors. As the demand for our services grow, we are seeking to further grow our team and are looking for excellent consultants to add value to our team.
We are looking in particular for people with demonstrable experience and abilities across core consultancy skills, including project management, bid writing and technical project delivery. From a technical perspective, you will have knowledge and a track record of working in the some or all of the following areas:, low carbon heat options (heat pumps, solar, biomass), heat networks, CHP, Carbon Capture and Storage, and bioenergy/biomass supply chains. This experience may cover assessing and developing policy and guidance relating to the uptake of CHP, low carbon heat options and district heating; auditing programmes to assess compliance, evaluation of r technical and economic performance; and feasibility, engineering design and technical and financial due diligence.
• Excellent core consultancy skills – bid writing, project management
• Strong engineering skills
• Proven experience in technical and economic assessment
• Knowledge and experience of low carbon and renewable heat technologies
• Knowledge and understanding of bioenergy/biomass fuel supply chains
• Effective project/programme management skills
• Professional, diligent, and strong attention to detail
• Experienced in the preparation of complex proposals and, ideally an effective networker and business developer
• Excellent organizational abilities
• Good problem solving
• Experience in leading technical teams in project delivery
• A Chartered (or progressing to Chartership) mechanical, process or chemical engineer with proven experience.
• Understanding of government policies related to renewable heat, CHP, heat markets and associated district heating and cooling networks
• Experience in managing large projects and programmes will be advantageous
• Experience in conducting Low Carbon Heat/CHP/District Heating feasibility studies
• Experience in working in Consultancy, engineering or an evaluation team at a utilities company
• Have knowledge of the market and regulatory framework for renewable heat, CHP and District heating/Cooling in the UK and Europe
• In addition, you will demonstrate good attention to detail, technical report writing ability and be able to assimilate information quickly
• Experience in client management and proposal writing
You will need to hold a Full UK Driving license for this position which involves UK travel, including the delivery of site audits across a wide range of programmes.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.