Consultant - Project Engineer
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, Home based, London, Preston, York
Position Title: Consultant Project Engineer
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any Ricardo UK office
Due to continued growth Ricardo Rail is looking to strengthen its consultancy team both to support the delivery of an exciting portfolio of existing projects, and to expand our offer to new clients and new territories.
We are seeking to recruit a Consultant level Project Engineer (with approximately 3-5 years’ experience) into our Engineering, Strategy and Performance Team to work on and manage a wide range of predominantly rolling stock engineering projects on behalf of manufacturers, owners and operators.
You will be part of our rapidly growing and dynamic team of experienced engineers delivering high quality work to clients, sometimes to demanding timescales. If you are enthusiastic, curious, self-motivated and willing to work hard this is the role for you!
As a Consultant Project Engineer you will be responsible for participating in and providing oversight of multi-disciplinary project teams, coordinating and drawing upon the expertise of in-house specialists to deliver against client requirements. Most of your work will be rolling stock focused, although we are looking for flexible individuals who, with appropriate support and training, are willing to enhance their own technical capabilities and take on diverse tasks in other areas.
You will meet and develop relationships with client project and programme managers and, in many cases, act as the client’s main point of contact for project delivery. In undertaking this client-facing role, you will be expected to combine sound engineering knowledge and judgement with strong communication skills to deliver a high-quality technical service to clients.
You will also contribute to proposals with novel solutions to technically challenging client needs, drawing upon your formal engineering training and your experience to-date.
As a Project Engineer within a consultancy environment, your key responsibilities relate to the requirement to bid, win and deliver commercially successful projects. In doing so, you will:
- Deliver Project Engineering support for a range of rolling stock and other projects.
- Support business development and write proposals. In doing so, identify potential risks, devise method statements, specify clear acceptance criteria, and generate resource and cost estimates.
- Manage and deliver smaller projects, working with clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project and taking direction from the Project Director when required.
- In doing so, ensure that the scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed.
- For larger projects, take ownership of specific work packages and, as part of a team, deliver these to quality, time and budget.
- Support good commercial outcomes through timely and accurate invoicing against agreed milestones and deliverables.
- Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Liaise with clients, project stakeholders and other industry participants.
Technical Expertise and Skills:
We consider it essential that you can demonstrate:
- Three or more years’ experience of working within the rail industry.
- A sound understanding of engineering fundamentals (typically electrical or mechanical engineering but other fields will also be considered).
- Experience in rolling stock design and maintenance, with a good working knowledge of several relevant subsystems.
A broad range of skills in relevant disciplines, such as:
- Creating and managing implementation of Engineering Change Proposals;
- Oversight and review of technical design engineering for subsystems such as brake systems, couplers, structures, bogies, doors, gangways etc.
- Fault and failure investigation, including root-cause analysis and solution identification;
- Planning and supervision of testing activities; and
- Vehicle inspection.
- A strong appreciation of working in a consultancy environment including the need for flexibility and client-satisfaction. This includes understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs. Your experience does not need to be within a consultancy environment.
- Good communication skills, including the capability to engage positively with clients and colleagues as part of a consultancy project team, and to influence decision-makers. This includes the ability to present technical information to customers in clear, complete, concise and unambiguous terms.
- Strong report writing skills, including an ability to tailor your style to meet client requirements and deliver high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- The ability to deliver on a range of concurrent projects to time and budget.
Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
Ricardo Group is a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specialises in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors. We are members of a community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges. In addition to our core technical engineering consultancy services, we support our clients with strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
As part of the wider Ricardo family, the Rail Division provides world-class expertise in critical and complex railway systems. We operate across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australasia, employing over 600 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects. Together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success. Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.
- Great working environment with ability to blend working in office/ at home.
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays and the opportunity to buy or sell up to 5 additional days.
- Company pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- LinkedIn Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.