Senior Consultant - Climate Action Planning and Transparency
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role Title: Senior Consultant – Climate Action Planning and Transparency
Salary range: £35,200 - £45,000 + benefits
Location: Flexible (all), preferably Bristol, London or Harwell
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Are you passionate about tackling the challenge of climate change, and the need for transparent and evidence-based responses?
We are seeking an experienced senior consultant to play a key role in project delivery and management, and business development, in the rapidly developing area of Climate Action Planning and Transparency. The primary focus of the role will be to contribute to and lead projects, mostly for public sector clients, on topics including greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories; identification and tracking of climate change actions and targets; tracking support (such as climate finance); international (such as UNFCCC) reporting requirements; design and implementation of climate action plans and policies (including both mitigation and adaptation actions); and Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems, or elements thereof. These projects may include working with local, regional and national governments in the UK and around the world. This may include international travel, subject to Covid-19 restrictions.
Specific tasks will be dependent on experience and interests, but are likely to include planning and delivering training and capacity building materials and workshops (virtual or in-person delivery); leading on quantitative methodology development, data analysis and data modelling, such as for GHG inventories and projections; research and policy analysis; report writing, production of technical guidance and development of action plans/strategies; and leading in-person or virtual technical meetings, interviews or training sessions with clients and stakeholders. As such, you will be a self-starter, with effective client management and communication skills, project management experience, and a high level of attention to detail.
In all aspects of this role, you will work as part of a small but highly experienced cross-disciplinary team of consultants, who specialise in areas such as policy development and assessment, evidence and data analysis, economic appraisal, environmental governance, stakeholder engagement, and capacity building. You will have the opportunity to make an impact and shape projects, learning from colleagues and contributing your skills and experience. We have recently completed or are currently carrying out projects in a wide range of countries in South America, Africa and Asia, including supporting implementation of the Paris Agreement goals, Nationally Determined Contributions, Long Term Strategies and National Adaptation Planning. We are also supporting local authorities in the UK, and other regional bodies and global cities to respond to the climate emergency and deliver ‘net zero’ ambitions through evidence-based climate action plans.
You will contribute to both the delivery of ongoing and new projects, including both technical delivery and project management. As part of an established business area, you will work with our team to implement a clear business development plan and contribute to new business acquisition. We believe in playing people to their strengths, whilst also supporting you to develop your skills and expertise through exciting projects and collaborative working with colleagues from across the business.
Key competencies and experience:
· Educated to at least degree level, or equivalent qualification, in a numerate/scientific subject;
· Experience of working on climate action planning, ideally related to capacity building, system design, or policy/action development, at city/sub-national and/or national level
· Experience in designing and conducting training
· Experience and knowledge of methods for the estimation of GHG emissions and reductions
· Experience and knowledge of international climate change issues, for example, UNFCCC processes
· Experience working in different cultural environments
· Willingness to travel overseas on short term assignments on a regular basis
· Experience working in a consultancy environment
· Strong PC literacy – especially in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
· Higher degree in a numerate/scientific subject
· Fluency in a second language is an advantage
Skills and behaviours:
· Effective communication skills, both written and oral, including excellent presentation skills
· Excellent organisation and time management skills
· Accuracy and attention to detail
· Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm, and a positive attitude to new challenges
· Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
· Able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as contribute effectively as part of a cross-disciplinary team
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.