- Role type
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), London, Manchester, Glasgow
- Closing Date
Location: Based in any of our UK offices (Harwell, London, Manchester or Glasgow).
Salary: £10 per hour - Zero hours contract
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Evidence & Policy (E&P) Business Unit is focussed on delivering consultancy-based projects and programmes for public sector and private sector clients in relation to gathering and analysing environmental evidence/data and helping to develop and assess public policy interventions all over the world on a wide range of topics including air quality, climate change, energy and transport.
We are offering a limited number of internships, with an economics focus, across our offices from summer 2021 onwards.
We are seeking an intelligent, self-motivated individual, either a graduate or currently at university, to join our E&P team for an internship. From day one, you’ll be part of a team supporting senior consultants in delivering high-profile projects. Our work is focused on technology-related analysis and strategic policy advice on a range of issues for government and private sector clients. The role will support a diverse range of areas including air quality and emissions, industrial transport and energy and climate change.
We welcome applications from graduates but preference will be given to those with relevant work experience in economics, environmental consultancy, government or academic research/think tanks.
The role can be based in any of our UK offices (Harwell, London, Manchester or Glasgow) and will be contracted on a zero hours basis.
As an intern, you will assist with carrying out research and analysis that underpins our consultancy work. You will manage your time across several projects, contributing to research, data analysis, stakeholder engagement and report-writing. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work and liaise with other experts and consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Key competencies and experience
- To be at least in the process of obtaining a Bachelors (2.1 or above) or Masters in a numerate subject, such as economics, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, computer science or related fields;
- Keen interest in sustainable transport, climate change or economics;
- Be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as operate effectively as part of a team;
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other EU languages (in particular: Finnish, Estonian, French, Dutch, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian) is desirable but not required.
- Strong computer literacy - especially in MS Excel and Word. Knowledge of R and Python are desirable.
- An understanding of European and/or international environmental policy issues, gained during studies or work experience
- Experience in a consultancy or in a customer facing commercial setting.
- Demonstrable experience in some of the following:
- Policy cycle (ex-ante impact assessment of policies and regulations; policy development and implementation, ex post evaluation of policies and programmes)
- Tools and methods: survey design and execution, market analysis, cost-benefit analysis; data-collection, validation and analysis; stakeholder consultation
Skills and behaviours:
- Team working
- Problem solving and creative thinking
- Accurate and attentive to detail
- Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.
- Effective oral and written communication, including concise and precise report writing.
- Strong Microsoft Excel experience, and basic presentation skills.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are always keen to hear from people who have drive, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusive approach as explained here.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.