Rolling Stock Approvals - Senior Consultant
- Role type
Position Title: Rolling Stock Approvals Consultant/ Senior Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Due to continued growth, Ricardo Rail are looking to strengthen their team to support the delivery of existing and new projects. The role we are seeking to fill is that of Rolling Stock Approvals Consultant/ Senior Consultant to work within our Independent Assurance Team. Based in Derby you will be responsible for providing expert advice on the approvals regimes that apply to passenger, freight and on track machine rolling stock and in addition managing and contributing to the delivery of these projects.
The rolling stock approvals consultant will be responsible for delivery of technical work as part of an independent assurance team specifically for rolling stock. Vehicles under Ricardo’s current assurance portfolio are Passenger, Freight, On Track Machine, On Track Plant and Steam locomotives.
You will meet and develop relationships with key engineering leaders and rail decision makers as well as enhancing your own technical capabilities. In undertaking this client facing role, you will be expected to combine sound engineering knowledge and judgement, with excellent communication skills, to deliver technical service to clients and Ricardo Rail projects.
- Assist in delivery of assurance projects with responsibility for delivering to timescale, quality and budget and manage the client relationship.
- Support recommendations for placing completed systems into service.
- Representing Ricardo Rail at industry events and committees.
- Maintaining your own competence and knowledge at the forefront of the railway assurance industry.
- Providing guidance to projects on the EC Directive requirements, Railway Interoperability Regulations and associated TSIs.
- Undertaking safety risk assessment/safety risk management in accordance with the European Common Safety Method on risk evaluation and assessment and other recognised processes.
- Undertaking independent safety assessment (ISA), assessment body (AsBo), Notified Body (NoBo), Designated Body (DeBo) and other independent verification/competent person activities in the UK and overseas.
- Liaison with clients, regulatory bodies and other project stakeholders.
Technical expertise & skills required:
- Rail Industry experience.
- Safety Management / Risk Assessments.
- Signalling Systems / Telecommunications.
- Rolling Stock Maintenance.
- Electromagnetic Compatibility.
- Structural Analysis.
- General RAMS knowledge.
- Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or actively working towards Chartership of a recognised Professional Engineering Body is preferred but not essential.
We are the rail consultancy team within the Ricardo group that provides specialist engineering services to help rail clients navigate the industry's operational, commercial and regulatory demands.
We have over 600 rail specialists based either in our own technical centres or working directly from client offices, depots and manufacturing sites, and together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
As part of the wider Ricardo group we are also members of a wider community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff.
- Circa £65,000 salary depending on experience,
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- LinkedIn Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.