Principal Technical Consultant – Bioenergy
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Bristol, Manchester, London, Glasgow, Guildford, Flexible, UK
- Closing Date
Principal Technical Consultant - Bioenergy
Location: UK Flexible
Salary Range: £40'000- £60'000
Role ID: 2021-1335
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Principal Technical Consultant – Bioenergy to join our CHP and Heat team.
Key competencies and experience:
- A scientific or engineering degree, OR a proven track record of bioenergy and biomass supply with a technical knowledge of relevant engineering processes
- Strong understanding of bioenergy supply and use, including fuel characteristics, environmental impact, regulation and prices/costs
- Experience in bioenergy technical feasibility and due diligence
- An understanding of government policies relating to biomass, biofuels and heat markets in UK and Europe
- An understanding of how the use of biomass for energy fits into the wider bioeconomy, including sustainability issues and carbon emissions
- An understanding of bioenergy technologies, costs, economic impacts, environmental and life cycle assessment, and potential business models
- Proven experience in energy and climate change policy assessment
- Experience of working in a consultancy
- Experience in managing large projects and programmes will be advantageous
- Experience in client management and proposal writing
- Experience of working oversees would be beneficial
Skills and behaviours:
- Experienced in the preparation of proposals
- An effective net-worker and business developer
- Effective management skills of projects and programmes
- Strong analytical skills
- Good attention to detail, technical report writing ability and be able to assimilate information quickly
- Be flexible, proactive, resilient and enthusiastic whilst remotely leading, and working with, project teams and client
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees to ensure an Inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.