DevOps Engineering Contractor, Kubernetes - Three Months - Outside IR35
- Role type
- Closing Date
Project title: DevOps Engineering Contractor (Kubernetes)
Duration: 3 months minimum
Capability level: Mid-level
At Ricardo Energy & Environment (https://ee.ricardo.com/) we help Governments and businesses across the world address environmental challenges through our world leading consultancy expertise and innovative digital solutions. We combine energy and climate change, air quality, resource efficiency, sustainable transport and chemical risk expertise with our strong IT capability.
We have ambitious growth plans and we’re looking for a talented and motivated DevOps Engineering Contractor for three months to support our development, IT operations and the business with a range of important projects.
This is an important project for the business and will be critical in supporting the digital team's ongoing success and performance.
With the project being outside IR35 you should be operating in accordance with relevant regulations and will invoice via a limited company which is able to provide substitution when required.
As a Contrator on this project, you will work closely with our existing DevOps and Sys Admin engineers, providing technical support for the business whilst working closely with the development and data science teams, streamlining automations and supporting our Agile development approaches. As new technologies emerge and impact our systems, our DevOps team has a passion for learning and understanding them, resolving issues and addressing risks. Thry provide a key link between business and technical, addressing challenges through automation, efficiency improvements and continuous integration practices.
Key competencies and experience:
- Commercial experience with containerisation (Kubernetes experience is essential and Docker if possible)
- Working knowledge and experience of RedHat, Ubuntu, CentOS
- Advanced knowledge of Apache.
- Advanced knowledge of the Linux operating system.
- Continuous integration (CI/CD) and Configuration Management
- Experience implementing automated deployment processes
- Working knowledge of CDNs
- Working with and deploying software management platforms such as Jira, Gitlab
- Experience maintaining servers for standard Internet services such as DNS, NFS, DHCP, printing and FTP.
- Working on the command line
- Solid experience working with cloud infrastructure/ virtual environments (AWS, Azure)
- Ability to trouble shoot website and server issues at the application and infrastructure level
Desirable competencies and experience:
- Knowledge of Shell/bash and Perl scripting.
- Understanding of PHP, MySQL, MariaDb, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, XML and HTML
- Exposure to firewall config
- Commercial experience with SSL configuration
- Commercial experience in server migrations
- Experience with GeoServer/ GeoNetworks
- Working knowledge using iSCSI
- Experience and/or knowledge of MVC frameworks including Zend, Symfony and Laravel
- Commercial exposure to Puppet/Snort/Spacewalk/Elastic Stack
- A background in UNIX OS, preferably with Linux/UNIX server administration
- Understanding of Auth0 and Active Directory
Softer Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well within a team in a constantly changing environment.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Dependable to complete work as expected to a high standard.
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies.
BAU tasks can include:
- Maintaining the integrity and security of servers and systems used for Ricardo Energy and Environment managed projects and services and troubleshoots networks, systems, and applications to identify and correct malfunctions and other operational problems.
- Applying patches and updates when required
- Checking logs and monitoring environments
- Monitoring and maintenance of backups
- Identifying and negating security threats
- Daily checks across a large suite of applications
- Problem resolution via ticketing system
Please apply for this project as soon as possible and we look forward to hearing from you.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy Notice: https://ricardo.com/privacy-notice#trnty
Ricardo Energy & Environment, The Gemini Building, Fermi Avenue, Harwell, Didcot, UK, OX11 0QR