- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Manchester, Bristol, Oxfordshire (Harwell), London, Glasgow
- Closing Date
Role Title: Ecological Consultant
Salary: £26,000 - £35,000
Location: Harwell / London / Manchester/ Bristol / flexible
Ricardo is looking for a consultant level terrestrial ecologist, to join our team of ecologists who sit within our diverse and highly skilled environmental service sector.
Ricardo Energy & Environment (REE) is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our clients to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
- The position offers the opportunity to support a diverse range of projects and clients across the UK and occasionally beyond.
- Your role will involve project management and implementation of ecological assessments, plus the coordination of associated surveys, consultation and mitigation in support of our clients’ proposals and operations.
- You will also be expected to hold or to apply for an oversee protected species mitigation licences for your areas of expertise.
- You will be involved in managing the technical work of more junior staff and sub-consultants and (depending on experience) managing projects and their direction too. There will also be team leadership opportunities as the team expands.
- The nature of the role and the dynamic of the team provides a wealth of opportunities to explore your interests and carry out a range of tasks and functions within terrestrial ecology, as well as a range of related disciplines.
- There is also a degree of flexibility over which facets of the role you become most invested in: be it a more technical focus; project management; developing bids and tenders; or a more generalist role.
- We work for a range of clients including government departments, councils, utility companies and not for profit organisations as well as commercial and infrastructure clients.
- Whilst the key competencies and desirable experience is listed below; the list in not exclusive and we are willing to discuss applications from candidates who are particularly strong in certain areas, but who may not meet all the criteria listed below.
Key competencies and experience:
- A degree in a relevant subject, such as ecology or other biological sciences
- Previous experience of consultancy
- Graduate or Associate membership of CIEEM.
- Experience of planning and conducting ecological surveys, including aquatic surveys, PEA/Phase 1 habitat survey and protected species surveys and providing mitigation recommendations.
- A thorough understanding of undertaking surveys safely and to the right quality standard.
- Good report writing skills, especially ecological survey reports and assessments.
- Experience of project management and/or preparation of ecology proposals and tenders.
- A good understanding of wildlife legislation, the planning process, EIA and, ideally Habitats Regulations Assessment.
- Broad ecological survey experience with demonstrable proficiency in particular protected species surveys and/or habitat surveys and providing mitigation recommendations
- At least one protected species survey licence (not including GCN)
- A full UK driver’s licence is essential
- Multiple protected species survey licences (ideally in both England and Wales)
- Experience of writing thorough and complex reports and assessments, such as HRA stages 1 - 4 and Environmental Statement chapters
- Experience of ecological assessment for the water sector
- A chartered member of a professional body (CEnv or CEcol)
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
message by our CEO.