Senior Consultant – Energy & Carbon Management
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Do you want to work for a leading international sustainability consultancy in a growing team?
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
To deliver our vision, over the last 10 years, we have delivered projects that have shaped UK and international government policy to align with achieving Net Zero carbon emissions, reduced operation costs across the public and private sector through decarbonisation and delivered strategies for large scale carbon reduction in multiple industrial sectors. Our reputation for innovation, passion and integrity in the work we deliver means we are recognised as an organisation that provides high quality advice to our clients.
We know we can bring about positive sustainable change and are looking for someone equally driven to deliver our vision.
Demand for energy and carbon management services is outstripping our team’s resources, so we are seeking to recruit an experienced senior or principal level consultant to lead and deliver net zero, energy and carbon management strategies, regulatory compliance, and energy efficiency business development activities and projects.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business.
Within a collaborative and supportive team of consultants, you will be responsible for helping to win and deliver projects (mainly with clients in the private sector) on energy and carbon management, and wider sustainability. Client liaison, project management and technical delivery will be required from initial client engagement through to provision of final reports. To assist our team, the successful candidate will:
- Be capable of taking over, managing and delivering existing energy and carbon management projects, as well as writing proposals for new work.
- Be the client lead for key projects, demonstrating experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
- Undertake a project management role, controlling budgets and timings, and allocating tasks to colleagues as required.
- Liaise with specialist sub-contractors and build relationships internally and externally.
- Input technical expertise to energy and carbon management bids and projects.
- Ensure appropriate profile raising and marketing of Ricardo’s services and capabilities.
Ricardo operates a parallel ‘team leader’ system for pastoral staff management, meaning that you will not initially have any direct line management responsibilities. However, if such line management is of interest to you, we can help you to demonstrate and develop that capability.
Key competencies and experience:
- Have practical career experience and be able to demonstrate relevant technical capability, effective project management and excellent communication skills.
- Have a higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in an environmental discipline, or otherwise to have a good track record working in an environmental role, so that you can demonstrate your knowledge.
- Have experience of working in the consultancy sector ideally, to demonstrate that you have the necessary commercial awareness, but we are also interested to talk to candidates currently performing environmental roles directly within industry.
- Demonstrate technical expertise across the following technical areas:
- Energy and carbon management planning and strategy
- Net Zero strategy development
- Carbon footprinting and verification
- Energy data analysis
- Energy auditing and identification of energy saving / decarbonisation measures
- Knowledge of technical areas such as energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport, carbon sequestration and offsetting.
- Regulatory compliance - knowledge of both current and future environmental and energy related legislation.
- Have demonstrated experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
- Experience of identifying and developing business opportunities is desirable.
You will need to hold a Full UK Driving licence for this position.
Skills and behaviours:
You will demonstrate the following skills and behaviours:
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement solutions.
- Excellent writing skills to communicate clearly and without errors – accuracy and attention to detail are vital.
- Strong client and stakeholder communication skills e.g. influencing, negotiation, presentation and relationship management skills.
- Project management skills that demonstrate ability to manage and account for time spent, and to deliver work on time and budget.
- Team working and ability to coordinate and prioritise activities to ensure delivery of agreed targets.
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively.
- High level of computer literacy, including familiarity with the full Microsoft Office software suite.
- A flexible approach – able to see where help is needed and support colleagues as necessary.
- Be comfortable juggling a variety of tasks in a sometimes fast-paced operational environment.
In our sustainability team we really enjoy the great work we do, so we will be looking for someone with a similar attitude – enthusiastic, committed, responsible, open and reliable.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in the world. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of project, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance Programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this messageby our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
The salary for this position is up to £45,000 per annum plus benefits.