Senior Consultant - Agriculture
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Bristol, Flexible, Glasgow, Home based, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo is seeking to further strengthen its agriculture business within our Evidence and Policy team through the appointment of an experienced consultant. This post will contribute to the delivery of our technical projects as well as supporting growth across the business.
Agriculture and land use have come into sharp focus in the public consciousness, the challenges of climate change, land use and food and their interactions with the challenges facing society will drive increasing change in this sector. Agriculture faces the most drastic shake up in policy seen within the past 50 years both in the UK and across Europe.
This is an exciting time to be involved in developing the role of land use and agriculture as farming moves to a more sensitive and sustainable global agricultural and food system.
Our Agriculture experts offer research consultancy, applying tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to complex environmental problems occurring in agricultural and land use systems. Our team provide support to national Governments, The European Commission and private sector clients in the development of evidence and analysis to support policies relating to air quality, greenhouse gas emissions and water quality while maintain productivity in farming.
Ricardo are well placed to support Governments and the private sector in understanding the challenges and solutions which will be necessary to revolutionise the future of farming.
We are looking for a senior consultant to support the delivery of projects and advisory programmes within the agriculture team, working within our strong existing team, developing our capabilities, and contributing towards the growth of our business. We are looking for a high calibre project manager, with a proven track record. You are likely to have a consultancy or project management background.
You will be responsible for the management of projects including communication with clients, resource planning and budgeting and managing your time across several projects.
You will work closely with colleagues across the UK to deliver high quality solutions. The role will include leading projects, reporting to clients, development and implementation of processes and policies to support effective delivery, quality assurance and will include support with proposal writing.
You should have the ability to interact with environmental and agricultural professionals including policy makers at national and/or international level and to write reports in English to a professional standard
Key Capabilities & Experience:
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above), Masters or PhD in a scientific subject
- Highly numerate with strong attention to detail and the ability to scrutinise data.
- Have personal drive and determination to succeed, be self-determining and able to positively contribute to the business.
- A strong track record in client relationship management with an ability to manage projects and deliver client outcomes.
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral to a variety of audiences including leading scientists, to politicians and the public.
- Experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for clients such the European Commission and national governments.
- Experience in a consultancy or in a customer facing commercial environment.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills and experience of developing relationships within the sector
- Good understanding of agricultural and environmental policy and the wider food system.
- Good knowledge of the farming systems and the interactions between agricultural production and the environment, particularly, GHG, Air Quality, Water and soil.
Skills and behaviours:
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral and basic presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
- Strong team working skills
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
About Ricardo Energy & Environment
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an internationally leading sustainability consultancy combining air quality, energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled technical expertise and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We have over 500 technical and scientific staff, many are recognised experts in their disciplines, and over 60 years’ consulting experience that includes a long track record of successfully delivering services and advice to a wide range of major private and public-sector organisations.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.