Business Development Director
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges.
We help governments, regulators, international agencies and the private sector understand the big picture and address some of the world’s most complex environmental challenges. We do this through market leading advice, underpinned by unparalleled evidence and policy insights relating to the energy and environmental agendas.
A key growth area for the business is into top tier corporate organisations, working across the organisation, including the C-Suite, to develop and implement their own sustainability, Netzero and decarbonisation plans (referencing the range of different titles c-suite gives these activities) to balance the need to remain competitive whilst protecting the environment and align with investor and stakeholder expectations.
Our business consists of a team of over 650 consultants, engineers and scientists with world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise complemented by powerful digital and techno-economic capabilities.
The Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations Business Unit (SI&O BU):
The Business Unit’s focus is the consultancy services and solutions which support environmental action. With a large focus on the decarbonisation of energy and heat supporting the global net zero and low carbon agendas. We are a team of over 200 consultants covering a diverse range of disciplines focused at the ‘implementation’ end of the client value chain. In the last year we have delivered numerous ground-breaking net zero roadmap assessments, decarbonisation and sustainability strategies across both the private and public sectors. Our work includes net zero strategies, life cycle assessments, circular economy and various low carbon techno-economic options studies, technical auditing, smart grid solutions, carbon management and the development and optimisation of local energy systems. We have delivered major industry sector net zero and decarbonisation strategies; UK Water Sector, Food and Drink Europe and Distillery Sector and public sector organisations like for the NHS in Scotland and Ministry of Justice. Across our business we have significant broader capabilities that span waste, sustainable transport, air quality, and water, ensuring we can offer a breadth of solutions to our clients. The teams with deep seated expertise make this an incredibly interesting and exciting place to work.
The role reports to the Business Unit Director and will work across the breadth of our capabilities within REE. The focus is on selling this capability to large corporate clients and prospects, particularly at c-suite level. We are looking for someone to take advantage of our excellent capability and track record, leveraging it to identify and win high value programmes of work with the largest corporate clients.
You will be responsible for identifying, shaping and securing our largest private sector opportunities which you will generate based on your exceptional core sales and marketing skills alongside your existing c-suite network.
This is a standalone role with no direct reports focused purely on the outcome of generating new corporate sales, with support from our existing marketing team and our technical teams. Our evidence to date suggests key topics will be net zero and decarbonisation but we look to you to tailor our offerings to ensure they address client challenges and needs. You will be targeted on profitable revenue growth from corporate clients and will be comfortable working to financial targets. You will turn clients into long term successful relationships.
We are seeking a Business Development Director with proven experience in:
Finding and winning large corporate consultancy opportunities, developing offerings which meet client needs
Understanding the impacts of evolving changes in the UK and international environmental sector and reacting to market needs
Delivering year-on-on year improvements in consultancy revenue in the environmental or related sectors. Documented by your performance in your application please.
Working with industry partners and channels to develop new offerings to the market
Working with a delivery team to ensure continued delivery of best in class service to develop long term value from the clients you win
Working with a wider business development team to support new opportunities across different business areas and different international markets, sharing best practice from your approach
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual within an innovative and fast paced environmental consultancy business and make a significant impact on large corporates net zero goals.
- The successful candidate will have a proven track record of identifying and converting market opportunities to profitable sales and lasting relationships of consulting services at c-suite level in large corporates. The candidate will have the ability to understand and explain our capabilities to key decision makers and stakeholders, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs.
- Design and implement a personal sales plan for the largest corporates, which aligns to the business area plans and dovetails to our existing plans within Business Development, marketing and sales teams within specific business areas
- Establish and maintain existing and new relationships at senior levels / C-Suite within your identified prospective private sector customers.
- Establish internal relationships with consultants across Ricardo working actively together.
- Work closely with the Business Areas to ensure clear communication of customer requirements and match this to implementation capacity
- Contribute to identifying new offerings and market requirements that the business can develop and sell to existing or new customers through established or new channels.
- Maintain the Ricardo premium brand and strong track record of delivering customer excellence.
- Identify and communicate intelligence on market requirements and opportunities.
- Creating profitable customer solutions at the largest scale.
- Proactive management of sales funnel and activity.
Key competencies and experience:
- Candidates will have a technical or business background with over 12 years’ relevant experience covering some or all of these areas:
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of the UK and international energy & environment sector.
- Relevant experience in the environmental sector and ideally a deep technical grounding in one or several topic areas
- Proven experience/ability in new business development/generation at the c-suite level in large corporates.
- Experience in working within a consultancy business, without pre-packaged solutions or products.
- The ability to demonstrate strong pipeline management with strong commercial acumen in order to generate and close business.
- Professional business manner and working practice, able to set an example for colleagues.
- Capability and willingness to be self-sufficient in prospect generation, with support from the wider team, including marketing to supplement their own activity.
- Experience with account based marketing approaches
- Positive engagement with customers at c-level, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
- High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
- Ability to network successfully within the organisation, to make connections with key resources and experts across the business to achieve their business development objectives.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
We would consider applicants for this post on a full time or part time basis, with flexible working a given. The role will demand UK and potentially in the future some international travel.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.