Environmental Assessment Principal / Associate Director
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Flexible Hours, Permanent
- Bristol, Flexible, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
As a result of our growing pipeline of work we are looking for a Principal / Associate Director to join our environmental assessment team. This position is to play a leading role in the environmental assessment team securing work and directing, managing and working on projects. Our team provides technical expertise in all areas of environmental assessment including EIA and SEA. Ricardo Energy and Environment has established a reputation as one of the leading players in the UK covering the water sector. We are working on major strategic resource projects across the country for a variety of water companies. In addition, we undertake environmental assessment work, including EIA, for developers and local authorities in a range of sectors from waste and energy to mixed use development.
Although, this role will sit within our Evidence and Policy business unit you will provide environmental assessment work across all areas of Ricardo Energy and Environment.
We are seeking an experienced consultant to help direct and manage our projects using internal and external resources. You will lead and manage projects and environmental assessment (EIA and SEA) inputs, collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and deliver all aspects of consultancy from tendering, budget control, leading projects, generating new business and nurturing existing client relationships.
You will have responsibility for technical review and sign off of all environmental deliverables, including Scoping/Screening Reports, Environmental Statements, and materials produced for consultation and consenting.
Developing new business opportunities in the field of environmental assessment is an important component of the role. The team works with other teams in Ricardo and developing links and opportunities from existing clients as well as developing new clients will be a feature of this role.
You will also play an integral role in the continued growth and success of the environmental assessment team and wider business.
Day to day, you could expect this role to involve:
- Responsibility for managing and delivering a broad range of projects including bidding, client management and quality assurance.
- Technical and commercial responsibility for the projects to be delivered and to help grow the environmental assessment team / business.
- Whilst the post will be based in our Manchester office, the role will involve work across the rest of the UK and there maybe occasional opportunities to be involved in projects abroad.
These are just a few examples of the role responsibilities and work we are currently delivering.
Key competencies and experience:
You will be an experienced consultant, with a degree level qualification in EIA/SEA or town planning an environmental assessment degree or post graduate qualification. Post graduate qualification in a relevant subject. Chartered status (i.e. RTPI, IEMA). You will possess a sound knowledge of the UK planning system and consenting processes including the SEA regulations. Have experience of delivering EIAs and working with multi-disciplinary teams on high profile projects. You will have strong communication and report writing skills as well as experience of liaising with planning authorities and stakeholders. Knowledge of working in the water sector would be desirable.
Skills and behaviours:
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven professional consultancy experience
- An excellent understanding of environmental impacts associated with major infrastructure developments and assessment methodologies sufficient to lead technical reviews of Environmental Statements.
- Experience of project management, budget control and leading projects
- Proposal writing and winning public and private sector consultancy projects
- Experience of providing strategic advice to clients
- Business development
- Excellent organisational skills to co-ordinate multi-disciplinary environmental assessment teams, work collaboratively within large teams, and influence decision-making.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.