Senior or Principal - International Sustainable Transport Policy
- Role type
- Flexible, Home based, London, Madrid, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Role Title: Principal International Sustainable Transport Policy Consultant (with focus on Latin America)
Salary range: £46,000 - £60,000 (depending on level of experience)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong policy and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to solve the most complex environmental challenges, empowering government officials and business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We have an opportunity for a Senior or Principal Sustainable Transport policy consultant to support project delivery and business development within our Policy, Strategy and Economics Practice. We are one of Europe’s leading consultancies supporting the UK Government, the European Commission, international governments and international bodies in the development, implementation and appraisal of Sustainable Transport Policy.
This position is open for candidates wishing to join our offices in London or Harwell in the UK, or Madrid in Spain, although home-working is also a possibility.
We are looking for an experienced consultant with a track record of winning and delivering Transport Decarbonisation Policy-related projects via international donors such as the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the Development Bank of Latin America (CAF), national development cooperation agencies (e.g. GIZ, AFD, BEIS), and the World Bank, with a track record in Latin American countries.
You will work within a team that wins and delivers a wide range of projects covering policy development, design, impact assessment and evaluation, as well as detailed technical analysis on the future of decarbonisation technologies and the impacts of policies on businesses. We are one of the leading European consultancies on sustainable transport policy and this role will help to expand our activities internationally, with a particular focus on Latin America. This will likely require a wide range of capacity building and stakeholder engagement activities including workshop and training course delivery and guidance production. It will also require close collaboration with our other teams in the Practice that already deliver extensive international work across many energy and climate change disciplines. They include national climate change and energy strategies, technology innovation incentive mechanisms, carbon pricing policies, energy efficiency policies and product standards.
Your work will involve idenitifying new opportunities and leading bids for multilateral development banks and donor organisations, identifying key partners locally and building effective project delivery teams, project management, technical delivery and other business development activities, including competitive bidding, client and partner relationship management and participation in promotional events. Many of our projects are complex multidisciplinary studies often involving several partner organisations and challenging logistical aspects, such as the organisation of workshops or training events overseas – we require candidates with some experience managing such projects. You will also be responsible for technical leadership and in supporting the development of more junior staff within the practice. You will work flexibly within Ricardo Energy & Environment’s consultancy business, collaborating with specialists in fields such as energy systems and climate change.
You will have the capability to work across the project life cycle, from early stage prospecting through bidding and the successful delivery of projects. You will have a deep commercial awareness and ethusiasm for growing the business in your technical area. You will have experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for clients such as development banks, the European Commission and national governments.
The role is a mid to high-level position with responsibility for:
- Monitoring market developments and shaping company business development activities to take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Development and maintenance of close client and partner relationships at high level to support the winning of new business.
- Leading, managing and contributing to multi-disciplinary proposals.
- Leading the delivery of large, complex projects or tasks within such projects. Responsibility for client satisfaction, timely delivery, coordination of partner inputs, project financial management and ensuring high-quality outputs.
- Leading and mentoring other staff in their involvement in bids and projects.
- Carrying out detailed technical work to contribute to high quality project delivery.
- Leading and participating in capacity building activities including workshop facilitation and presentation delivery.
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings and international conferences.
Key competencies and experience:
- Educated to at least Master’s degree level specialising in scientific, engineering, environmental or economic fields.
- Experience leading business development and/or competitive bid writing in a consultancy environment or similar.
- Experience working within multidisciplinary team and managing complex projects.
- Previous experience managing or working within projects for donor organisations such as the IDB, the CAF, national development agencies (e.g. GIZ, AFD, BEIS), European institutions (e.g. European Commission, EBRD, EIB) and UK Government
- Candidates should demonstrate their access to an existing network of relevant client and partner contacts (with a focus on Latin America) and be able to grow and develop this further as needed.
- Understanding of the sustainable transport policy landscape, gained during studies or work experience, in one or more of the following areas:
- EU Sustainable Transport and Energy policy especially the measures implemented under the Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Directive, REDII, CO2 emission performance standards.
- Sustainable transport measures and policies being considered and implemented by countries through nationally-determined contributions (NDCs) and under the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- National policies and measures being considered or implemented in Latin American countries to decarbonise transport, including introduction of e-mobility and alternative fuels strategies and regulations.
- Strong awareness of key sources of data for sustainable transport projects (especially in Latin America).
Skills and behaviours:
- Project management skills with track record in leading complex proposals and projects.
- Excellent written and spoken English and Spanish are essential; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.
- Oral and written communication is essential, including concise and precise report writing.
- Analytical skills are essential.
- Good team worker and experienced delegator.
- High level of commercial awareness and appreciation for project financial management principles.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
If you require any support with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.