Senior Renewable Energy Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Flexible Hours, Part time, Permanent
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Bristol, Flexible, Glasgow, Guildford, Home based, London, Manchester
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy. We deliver cutting edge services to clients on climate change, pollution and the future of mobility, among others. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Consultant to join the Energy Practice. We want you to lead and deliver a portfolio of exciting renewable and low carbon energy projects.
This role is nominally full time, but we are happy to discuss flexible working arrangements, including working from home, part time options or varied hours.
You will be joining Ricardo’s Energy Practice, a team of 65 energy specialists who work across low and zero carbon power, heat and infrastructure. We are a committed team of like-minded professionals with a growing portfolio of energy system, technology, policy and strategy projects. Day-to-day, this could mean:
- Providing renewable energy data collection, analysis, technical reporting and problem solving
- Working out how to deliver deep cuts in emissions from the public sector estate
- Carrying out technical innovation projects in the energy sector
- Supporting community groups to realise their local energy projects.
These are just some examples of the transformational projects we are delivering now.
You will be an experienced consultant with expertise in renewable electricity generation technologies and a track record in data cleansing and analysis, modelling, and reporting. You take responsibility for delivering to the highest standards.
You will understand how the energy system works, and may have experience in energy policy, strategy and/or technology projects.
We need an excellent communicator who can explain complex ideas. You will be confident in front of clients and your reports are clear and easy to read. You will work collaboratively with a wide range of experts from across the company and in partner organisations.
You’ll be keen to build your career and we will help you develop in both technical and professional areas. Join us and be part of the transition to a low carbon energy system.
Skills and experience
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Technical expertise in renewable electricity generation technologies, including understanding of practical application and issues that impact deployment (technical and non-technical), and a high-level understanding of UK renewables policy. A broad understanding of renewable / sustainable heat, transport, biofuels and emerging technologies.
- Numerate and comfortable carrying out statistical analysis in Excel and managing databases, including an understanding of data quality, interpretation, and reporting of data. Can quality assess results and models.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to plan and write reports and presentations, and present complex ideas to clients and colleagues.
- The ability to breakdown complex research questions, think creatively and solve novel problems.
- Excellent team player, who collaborates well with others, and is proactive and ready to help and willing to support junior member of the team.
- A strong degree in a STEM based subject or a similar qualification in energy or sustainability.
In addition, we would value:
- Proven professional consultancy experience, although applications from candidates with industry/corporate backgrounds are also welcome
- An understanding of the UK Planning System with respect to renewables generation
- Experience with developing and implementing Quality Assurance (QA procedures)
- Understanding of the UK Code of Practice for Official Statistics
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Salary - up to £52,000 per annum plus benefits.