Chief Engineer Advanced Propulsion Systems
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
Seeking a Chief Engineer, Advanced Propulsion Systems, who is driven to advance the state of technology in the High-Voltage electrification sectors of Transportation, Aerospace, Defense, Stationary, and other as mentioned below. You will be involved in System architecture, designing, testing, and developing complex and innovative solutions.
- Have in-depth experience, understanding and ability to execute on MOST of the following xEV Advanced Propulsion Systems disciplines:
- Software, Controls & Calibration, CAV: Supervisory, Inverter, BMS, Embedded, ISO26262
- Systems Architecture & Definition: Sub-system specification and matching of components and entire powertrain systems to vehicle application. (EDU, Battery Pack, HV Bus, Thermal Systems, Performance Predication, Design for: Cost, Service, Quality, Mauf. etc.)
- Requirements Creation/Definition, Decomposition & Management
- DFMEA, DVP&R and Test Plan Creation/Definition & Management. Test report and Data analysis
- Simulation toolsets: Ricardo SW, GT Suite, Ansys, Vector etc.
- Cross-functional System interfaces, interactions and dependencies
- System, sub-system and component project planning from inception to production delivery
- Mechanical design standards and requirements in prototype and production environments of Power Electronics, Motors, Gearboxes, HV Battery Packs, Powertrain to Vehicle integration.
- Electrical design standards and requirements in prototype and production environments
- Lead technical teams, within Ricardo and collaboratively with client technical teams, delivering on complex projects within defined timing, budgets and deliverables
- Create and present project proposals to clients based on provided RFI/Q/P documents and conversations, identifying resource needs (effort and duration), material & travel costs, assumptions, risks and deliverables.
- Conduct research and development of Advanced Propulsion Systems across many Industries, such as Automotive, Motorsport, Defense, Rail, Stationary Power Generation/Conversion, Marine etc.
- Bringing creativity and innovative ideas for complex system and component challenges
- Have understanding of global industry standards and trends to provide the latest technology solutions.
- Leverage extensive product development assets including team members, test labs, and expert product development capabilities to deliver best-in-class performance, usability and quality.
- Work collaboratively across the North American and Global Ricardo group as well customers locally and internationally.
- Provide technical leadership in devising innovative solutions in engineering services, maintain awareness of current and emerging advanced engineering technologies, tools and methods that impact the delivery of projects from within the wider Ricardo group
- Lead cross functional engineering teams, providing guidance on technical challenges to clients and internal engineers. Mentors Jr. engineers when applicable.
- Be responsible for engagement within Ricardo globally to seek out and develop capabilities and offerings in advanced technologies
- Provide regular program updates to both clients and Sr. Leadership on cost, timing, technical challenges, etc.
- Understand CapEx budgeting and spending with business case development to provide acceptable ROI on spends according to Sr. Leadership constraints
- Identify opportunities in market consistent with strategy and product group goals, through analysis and networking, to develop leads and convert to sales; collaborates with senior leadership team to identify and create new service offerings
- Confers with management, business development and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness and customer demand for new and existing services
- Prepares and negotiates with clients all proposals, pricing, contractual terms and conditions, ownership of intellectual property, timing and deliverables
- Forecasts operating costs for projects and prepares project reports
- Identifies, integrates and standardizes best practices with respect to key technical deliverables such as modeling and other technical analysis
- Delivers superior levels of customer service to both internal and external customers while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering; Master’s or PhD preferred
- Fifteen years’ experience including responsibility for engineering solutions for the product from design to application in Automotive or similar industries
- Strong business and commercial skills with an understanding of financial drivers and shareholder value; solid knowledge of industry-standard legal and business language, including familiarity with contracts, NDAs, IP, payment terms, proposals, pricing, margins
- Proven strong technical background and leadership ability
- Demonstrated business development experience linked to strategic planning with examples of effectively delivered strategy, particularly in high-growth areas
- Five+ years leadership experience; highly professional in appearance and approach; exudes expertise, credibility, and trustworthiness.
- Experience having direct reports
- Ability to work autonomously and lead non-direct reports to deliver successful client programs
- Strong but customer-aware negotiation skills; ability to influence
- Demonstrated ability to effectively multi-task and manage multiple project teams simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, presentation and collaboration skills; ability to condense complex issues into succinct messages
- Strong problem solving, analytical and listening skills
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic and matrixed organization
- Proficient knowledge and ability to use Microsoft office tools