Sr. ePropulsion Systems Engineer
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
Seeking an Automotive ePropulsion Systems Engineer who is driven to advance the state of technology in the xEV Powertrain Automotive sector. You will be involved in System architecture, designing, testing, and releasing complex and innovative software for electric, hybrid, and CAV applications. You will ensure system quality and robustness through use of tools such as DFMEA and DFSS Support Controls, Calibration, and Validation teams during development and issue resolution
- Have in-depth experience, understanding and ability to execute on MOST of the following xEV Advanced Propulsion Systems disciplines:
- Software, Controls & Calibration, CAV: Supervisory, Inverter, BMS, Embedded, ISO26262
- Systems Architecture & Definition: Sub-system specification and matching of components and entire powertrain systems to vehicle application. (EDU, Battery Pack, HV Bus, Thermal Systems, Performance Predication, Design for: Cost, Service, Quality, Mauf. etc.)
- Requirements Creation/Definition, Decomposition & Management
- DFMEA, DVP&R and Test Plan Creation/Definition & Management. Test report and Data analysis
- Simulation toolsets: Ricardo SW, GT Suite, Ansys, Vector etc.
- Cross-functional System interfaces, interactions and dependencies
- System, sub-system and component project planning from inception to production delivery
- Mechanical design standards and requirements in prototype and production environments of Power Electronics, Motors, Gearboxes, HV Battery Packs, Powertrain to Vehicle integration.
- Electrical design standards and requirements in prototype and production environments
- Lead technical teams, within Ricardo and collaboratively with client technical teams, delivering on complex projects within defined timing, budgets and deliverables
- Create and present project proposals to clients based on provided RFI/Q/P documents and conversations, identifying resource needs (effort and duration), material & travel costs, assumptions, risks and deliverables.
- Conduct research and development of Advanced Propulsion Systems across many Industries, such as Automotive, Motorsport, Defense, Rail, Stationary Power Generation/Conversion, Marine etc.
- Bringing creativity and innovative ideas for complex system and component challenges
- Understanding of global industry standards and trends to provide the latest technology solutions.
- Leveraging extensive product development assets including team members, test labs, and expert product development capabilities to deliver best-in-class performance, usability and quality.
- Work collaboratively across the North American and Global Ricardo group as well customers locally and internationally.
- Bachelor’s or Master of Science in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or related Engineering field from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum of TEN (10) years of experience in System Engineering, Design Engineer, Controls Development, or Calibration
- Experience leading highly technical development teams
- Deep understanding/awareness and knowledge in “State of the Art” industry technologies and suppliers/markets.
- Strong communication, client awareness, and problem-solving skills
- Experienced in developing good supplier & client relationships
- Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
- Strong experience with automotive and industrial Advanced energy conversion systems employing advanced technologies in various configurations for high voltage, power and energy capacity
- Familiarity with automotive and industrial system designs at a high level and best practices. Has insight into the rationale for design approaches taken by design teams for current production applications
- Experience with engineering processes from concept development to production delivery and support
- Familiarity with engineering development processes (block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc.). Ability to establish development process tools from clean sheet or “own” established process until production release.
- Design and Analysis – requirements documentation, compliance, a general understanding of mechanical and structural design. Ability to specify key analysis or interpret results.
- Thermal Systems – familiar with cooling systems: requirements, specifications, heat exchange, working fluids packaging and interconnects
- Electronic module – fundamental understanding of wiring and bus bar routing, fusing, connectors, mounting of components and maintain bill of materials
- Packaging – ability to address issues related to detailed design of module packaging, conductors, sensor locations and module and pack-level tolerance stack analysis, creepage and clearance requirements
- Proposal development - Ability to write clear proposals with scope, deliverables, assumptions clearly defined.
- Ability to define a development team and lead that team through a successful program – on time and within budget, with proven history of doing so.
- Experience in Model Based Systems Engineering methodology using SysML
- Experience in using INCA, Matlab, Simulink, DOORS, and Visio
- Experience using CANalyzer or CANoe
- Experience with communication networks (i.e. CAN, Ethernet, LIN, FlexRay, etc.)
- Master of Science or PhD in Applied Physics, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Engineering, or related Engineering field from an ABET accredited university
- 15+ years’ experience
- Experience at an automotive OEM or Tier 1 supplier with multiple successfully delivered “Cradle to grave” programs
- Multiple programs successfully delivered at the technical lead.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of highly technical engineers both with and outside of your organization.