Sr. Functional Safety Engineer
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
The Senior Functional Safety engineer will work with customers' safety organizations as well as client engineers and managers to ensure that the functional safety activities according to ISO 26262 are executed and documented.
· Act as a lead functional safety engineer for the Electronics Product Group.
· Analyze impact of application of ISO26262 for clients’ Electronics and create Functional Safety awareness across department.
· Perform functional safety related activities for Electronics projects according to relevant standards during all project phases (concept, product development, production) including: creating safety plan and item definition, performing HARA, creating functional and technical safety requirements(for HW and SW), assisting with DFMEA and FMEDA, Fault Tree Analysis
· Collaborate with project managers, development team and customers on Functional Safety.
· Conduct reviews and audits with product teams to ensure functional safety standards are being met throughout product development cycles.
· Act as the main customer contact for safety related topics to optimize the cooperation and expertise regarding OEM processes and strategies.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Minimum BS in Engineering, Mathematics/Science.
· 4 years of experience writing and testing embedded software, including experience with fault injection testing and troubleshooting circuits using debuggers, emulators, oscilloscopes, multimeters; ability to read and understand electronic controller’s schematic; ability to read and understand data sheets for microcontrollers, Integrated circuits and being able to write code for controlling them
Note: It is not required to write code as part of the job activities, but familiarity with software development and software related issues that could have safety impact are required.
· 2 years of experience writing requirements (system, electrical or software); ability to tell apart a well written requirement that is implementable vs a vague/incorrect/inconsistent requirement and being able to make suggestions on how to improve deficient requirements.
· 2 years of practical experience with ISO 26262 (includes: performing HARA, FTA and deriving functional and technical safety requirements); ability to make hardware and software suggestions to deal with random HW failures and systematic HW and SW issues.
· Knowledge of the Products Development Life Cycle with respect to Systems, Electrical or Software Development.
· Knowledge of Functional Safety Theory, with specific on-the-job experience (prefer if holds Safety certification).
· Knowledge of Change and Requirements Management tools (e.g. TcSE / DOORS).
· Good technical leadership, planning and organization /control skills.
· Strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to plan and deliver effective functional safety related training.
· The ability to communicate complex ideas succinctly and persuasively to peers, management, and customers.
· Ability to work effectively within a team orientated environment.
· Self-motivated / self-starter with the ability to find creative solutions.
· Flexibility in working hours to work with a global team may be required. Some flexibility for global travel is important.