Power Electronics Engineer
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
- Design and develop power electronics products for future EV’s, including: AC/DC, DC/DC converters, Chargers, DC/AC, inverters, EMI filters, and bus bar design.
- Work on a modular and scalable architecture that can be applied across a range of low-voltage and high-voltage EV’s.
- Responsible for the specification, design, development and release of power electronics for global electrified applications. This role can include both clean-sheet design, as well as, application engineering
- Utilize individual and group design, drawing, specification and code reviews to demonstrate and drive the application of robust technical fundamentals to optimize vehicle performance, quality, DFM/DFA and cost.
- Leverage extensive product development assets including team members, test labs, proving grounds and expert product development capabilities to deliver best-in-class performance, usability and quality.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic Qualifications:
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical or software engineering.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical engineering
- 1-3 years’ experience in power electronics products; AC/DC, DC/DC converters, Chargers, DC/AC, inverters, EMI filters, and bus bar design.
- Experienced with designing and releasing of Automotive components
- Strong communication, client awareness, and problem-solving skills
- Experienced in developing good supplier relationships
- Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
- Experience working with 48V and >300V voltage levels and component selections.
- Hands on experience in power electronics hardware development including design, debugging and validation of:
-Semiconductor switching waveforms, loss modeling and thermal management
-Protection devices and safety issues
-Printed circuit board layout, interconnection, packaging, EMC and EMI
-Circuit simulation and computer-aided design tools (CAD)
- Fundamental understanding of switched-mode power conversion as applied to DC and AC circuits and systems
- Knowledgeable in IGBT and Si/SiC MOSFET technology and selection.
- Working knowledge of IGBT/MOSFET gate drive circuits.
- Experience in analog, digital and mix signal hardware design.
- Circuit simulation and computer-aided design tools (CAD)
- Control expertise and digital implementation for power converters controls.
- Experience with schematic capture (Altium preferred) and simulation tools (PLECS) for power electronics.
- Experience in PCB layout for power electronics (Altium preferred): minimal stray inductance, EMC/EMI optimization.
- Design for Manufacturing, Design for reliability, DFMEA and fault trees.
- Background designing for UL and CE safety requirements and EMC.