Senior Safety Consultant
- Role type
Position Title: Safety Consultant
Company: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any Ricardo Office/Home Based
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c600 consultants working on Rolling Stock, Infrastructure and Independent Assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c90 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
To deliver a wide range of safety engineering projects to Ricardo Rail as part of the Safety Team, by:
- Leading and providing input to proposals with novel solutions to technically challenging client needs;
- Leading and delivering safety engineering deliverables in compliance with CSM-RA and / or relevant international standards such EN50126, EN50129 or IEC 61508.
- Interfacing with Clients at both a technical and contractual level;
- Responsible for delivering safety engineering for a wide range of signalling and infrastructure projects to ensure compliance with the CSM-RA and / or relevant standards.
- Hazard Identification including the facilitating or secretary of HAZOP / HAZID workshops and being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up the workshops.
- Managing risk assessments for specific discipline areas, being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up risk workshops.
- Capability with tools and techniques such as FMECA, FTA-ETA would be beneficial.
- Managing a Hazard Record, analysing hazards, developing safety requirements and assessing compliance evidence to validate their closure.
- Managing specific interfaces to clients, stakeholders, review panels and Assessment bodies e.g. AsBo/NoBo. Supporting our clients during independent assessments by the AsBo/ NoBo.
- Delivering projects to budget, time and quality.
- Supporting Business development and writing proposals
- Systems Engineering experience - ability to decompose a system context from project documentation, read and understand standards and understand key element/interfaces.
- Ability to undertake qualitative and quantitative assessment of risk
- Ability to write well structured, high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- Ability to present safety / compliance arguments to clients, review panels and independent assessment bodies and regulators.
- Client focussed – understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
- Good communicator, capable of engaging positively with clients and working cooperatively as part of an embedded team.
- Good IT and report writing skills – use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Ability to manage or deliver on a range of projects to time and budget
- Knowledge of the Common Safety Method on Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM-RA) regulation or a similar application of engineering safety management.
- Knowledge of hazard identification and analysis techniques and management of hazards through hazard records / hazard logs.
- Working knowledge in HAZOP/HAZID, Fault Tree and Event Tree analysis in a railway environment or similar.
- Knowledge of engineering safety management and compliance with EU and UK law relating to engineering safety Type of experience:
- Experience in engineering safety management and compliance with EU and UK law relating to engineering safety.
- Experience of working in major rail infrastructure upgrade projects or alternatively, a level of consultancy experience in producing assessment and deliverables for large projects. Relevant experience in industries other than rail will be considered.
- To act as project manager and have a leading role in future transportation projects.
- Review of more junior engineers’ work, including responsibility for technical development.
You will be a Chartered Engineer with at least 10 years of relevant safety experience, ideally in rail and in the UK.
We are looking for a dynamic senior safety consultant to join our experienced and well-respected Safety Team to support our growing portfolio of work. We are a flexible employer and would be happy to consider home-based working and part-time roles. We are looking for self-motivated staff able to deliver to high quality outputs, sometimes to demanding timescales. You would have the support of an experienced team of safety engineers.
- Up to £65,000 p/a salary depending on experience,
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox and various other flexible benefits.