Senior Power Sector Specialist
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Bristol, Glasgow, Guildford, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Consultant to join our team. We want you join our team to lead and deliver a range of strategic projects in the international energy sector. The role can be based at either our Glasgow, Bristol, Harwell, Guildford or Johannesburg offices.
The Power Planning & Solutions team comprises a group of highly experienced professionals specialising in techno-economic and management consultancy services for the energy sector, with particular emphasis on the power sector, including system planning, tariff studies, renewable energy integration, regulation and smart networks. We are a committed team of like-minded professionals with a growing portfolio of energy technology, policy and strategy projects.
Projects are split between the UK and overseas – the practice has undertaken assignments in nearly 100 countries. We have a broad range of clients, including multi-lateral lending agencies, governments, regulators, electricity companies, natural resources companies and private. In the UK the practice is involved in pioneering assignments working closely with distribution companies in the application of smart technology to improve the utilisation of electrical distribution systems. Our strength lies in our ability to combine strategic, financial/economic and technical advice as an integrated consultancy service to public and private sector clients.
You will be an experienced consultant with a track record of successful project delivery in energy policy and strategy, with a particular focus on regulation, tariff design and integrated resource planning. You take responsibility for delivering to the highest standards.
We need an excellent communicator who can explain complex ideas. You will be confident in front of clients and your reports are clear and easy to read. You will work collaboratively with a wide range of experts from across the company and in partner organisations.
You will be keen to further your career as well as mentor junior members of the team and we will help you develop in both technical and professional areas.
Skills and experience
You should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven professional consultancy experience, although applications from candidates with industry/corporate backgrounds are also welcome.
Experience in some of:
- Technical regulation, licensing and grid codes
- Restructuring and privatisation
- Generation, transmission and distribution planning
- Electricity pricing and tariff formulation
- The ability to breakdown complex research questions, think creatively and solve novel problems.
- Numerate and comfortable building energy and financial models in excel.
- Proposal writing and winning public and private sector energy consultancy projects.
- The ability to manage projects to a successful conclusion.
- Strong communication skills with examples of your writing for different audiences.
- A proactive person who is ready to help and willing to support junior member of the team.
- A strong degree in a STEM based subject or a similar qualification in energy, sustainability or planning.
- Fluency in English is essential, fluency in other languages is desirable.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Salary: Up to £45,000 per annum