Senior Software Safety Consultant
- Role type
Position Title: Senior Software Safety Consultant
Company: Ricardo Rail UK
Salary: Upto £65,000 depending on experience
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c90 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock to a clients including infrastructure managers, train manufactures, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
To deliver a wide range of safety engineering projects specifically focused on software systems as part of the Safety Team, by:
- Leading and providing input to proposals with novel solutions to technically challenging client needs;
- Leading and delivering software safety engineering deliverables in compliance with relevant international standards such EN50128 or IEC 61508 and/or CSM-RA;
- Producing software deliverables / artefacts, and independent assessment of software projects in accordance with the requirements of EN50128;
- Interfacing with Clients at both a technical and contractual level.
- Responsible for delivering software safety engineering for a wide range of railway systems (including signalling) and rolling stock projects to ensure compliance with the relevant standards and/ or CSM-RA.
- Conducting safety verification and validation review tasks of:
- Plans governing the software development lifecycle (e.g. software quality assurance plans, software development plans, software verification and validation plans).
- Software and safety artifacts and ensuring adherence to the safety methodology and strategy.
- Safety Integrity Level allocation to SW safety functions.
- Outcome of the SW Test Specification review.
- Software Error Effect Analysis (SEEA).
- Software Critical Code Review Report.
- Managing software safety engineering projects.
- Independent assessment of software projects in accordance with the requirements of EN50128.
- Managing risk assessments for specific discipline areas, being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up risk workshops.
- Managing a Hazard Record, analysing hazards, developing safety requirements and assessing compliance evidence to validate their closure.
- Delivering projects to budget, time and quality.
- Supporting Business development and writing proposals.
- Able to present technical information to customers in clear, complete, concise and non-ambiguous terms.
- Defines or proposes updates of customers processes and standards covering the work and its products based on the knowledge of systems/software engineering and/or technical speciality.
- Ensure the software development is planned implemented in accordance with applicable standards and principles.
- Lead technical discussions, technical solution presentation to internal and external stakeholders.
- Client focussed/ consulting mindset – understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
- Good communicator, capable of engaging positively with clients and working cooperatively as part of an embedded team.
- Good IT and report writing skills – use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Ability to manage or deliver on a range of projects to time and budget.
- Good understanding of systems engineering, software engineering and functional safety.
- Detailed knowledge of software safety lifecycle, system and software requirements definition, safety design concepts (system and software), safety and risk analysis, software architecture and design, software verification and validation.
- Familiar with EN 50128, other CENELEC EN 5012x suite standards and other equivalent software safety standards (IEC61508, IEEE-STD-1228, DO-178), software assurance methods and techniques, SIL allocation
- Able to read and understand source code written in various programming languages and verify correct, complete, and consistent implementation of software requirements.
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience with software in complex/real-time safety critical systems, train control systems or equivalent in other industry such as aircraft, medical, nuclear or automotive
- Ideally, have hands-on experience with software safety requirements and design analyses (using DOORS, JIRA, REQTIFY, FTA, FFMEA & SEEA tools and and techniques), static code reviews, test analysis, coding standard
- Experience in engineering safety management and compliance with EU and UK law relating to engineering safety.
Would you like to join our rapidly growing and dynamic team of safety consultants? We are keen to talk to people who are enthusiastic, curious and willing to work hard.
We are a flexible employer and would be happy to consider home-based working and part-time roles. We are looking for self-motivated staff able who will work well with customers and team members to deliver to high quality outputs, sometimes to demanding timescales
We offer excellent working environment with competitive salary and flexible benefits such as, Company Pension, Private Medical Insurance, Employee Assistance Programme, Access to Private GP Consultations, PerkBox, LinkedIn Learning, Permanent Disability Insurance, Life Cover, Dental Cover, Cycle to Work Scheme, Computer Lease Scheme and Travel Insurance.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff.
Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.