Senior Consultant – Railway Security & Safety
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Senior Consultant – Railway Security & Safety
Company: Ricardo Rail UK
Salary: Upto £65,000 depending on experience
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c90 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock to a clients including infrastructure managers, train manufactures, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
We are now looking to recruit a senior Rolling Stock Safety consultant to take a leading role in delivering consultancy for clients in rolling stock projects.
Security and safety management have many similarities. Both are risk-driven processes that require the identification of system hazards and vulnerabilities, including an estimation and assessment of the risks associated with them in order to reduce the residual risk to an acceptable level. To meet the needs of the modern railway we are looking for an engineer who can deliver assurance both of safety and security. Ideally, we are looking for an experienced and flexible safety engineer with some experience in undertaking security risk assessments in a rail environment, or alternatively a security specialist who has worked in a rail environment with capability in the Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM-RA) and safety management principles.
Work will include delivering a wide range of security and / or safety engineering projects on projects encompassing all railway technical and operational subsystems to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
Leading and delivering security engineering deliverables in compliance with the Network Rail Security Assurance Framework (SAF) and/or relevant standards for railway Operational Technology (OT) on a range of infrastructure and rolling stock projects including:
- Preparation of Security Engineering Plans (SEP).
- Development of Security Engineering Assurance Documents (SEAD)
Support safety engineering activities on a range of railway projects including:
- Development of systems definition and safety plans,
- Hazard identification workshops
- Risk assessment and hazard record management activities
- Development of Safety Justification Reports.
- The successful candidate will be expected to participate in customer facing reviews and risk assessments, provide bid support and management of new projects.
- Systems Engineering experience - ability to decompose a system context from project documentation, read and understand standards and understand key element/interfaces.
- Ability to write well structured, high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- Ability to present safety and security compliance arguments to clients, review panels and independent assessment bodies and regulators.
- Client focussed – understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
- Good communicator, capable of engaging positively with clients and working cooperatively as part of an embedded team.
- Good IT and report writing skills – use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Ability to manage or deliver on a range of projects to time and budget
- Qualified to a degree level in a relevant discipline or have equivalent level in a combination of other educational qualifications / relevant experience.
- Knowledge and experience of cyber security, risk assessment methodologies and principles
- Knowledge of relevant standards such as:
- DfT /NCSC Cyber Assessment Framework
- Rail Industry Standard RIS-0700-CCS - Internet Access on Trains for Customer and Operational Railway Purposes
- Network Rail Security Assurance Framework (SAF)
- ISO27000 series - Information Security Standards
- ISA/IEC 62443 - Industrial Automation & Control Systems Security
- Knowledge of the UK/EU Railway Operations, Engineering and Standards.
- Knowledge of the CSM-RA regulation or a similar application of engineering safety management (e.g. CENELEC EN50126/8/9 standards).
- Knowledge of hazard/threat identification and analysis techniques and management of hazards/threats through safety hazard records/security risk registers.
- Working knowledge in HAZOP/HAZID in a railway environment or similar.
- Knowledge of engineering safety management and compliance with EU and UK law relating to engineering safety
- Understanding of railway operational technology.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer with at least 5 years relevant experience, preferably in the UK rail industry.
We are looking for a dynamic Senior Consultant to join our experienced and well-respected Safety and Security Team to support our growing portfolio of work.
We are a flexible employer and would be happy to consider home-based working and part-time roles.
We offer excellent working environment with competitive salary and flexible benefits such as, Company Pension, Private Medical Insurance, Permanent Disability Insurance, Life Cover, Dental Cover, Cycle to Work Scheme, Computer Lease Scheme and Travel Insurance.
If you are self-motivated and able to deliver high quality outputs, sometimes to demanding timescales please do get in touch.