- Role type
- Full time, Part time
Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Resource Efficiency and Waste Management practice provides a wide range of consultancy services to the waste management industry. One of our service areas is technical due diligence and owners engineer and technical advisory services.
We require an outstanding individual to lead and drive the engineering function within the Waste Technical Services business area. The lead engineer (engineering manager) will have full responsibility for leading and developing the engineering team during an exciting period of opportunity and growth following a successful expansion of projects both in the UK and internationally.
As the lead engineer the primary purpose of this post is to assist the Business Area Manger to achieve the objectives of the Company with respect to engineering support to both internal and external clients. In doing this ensure maximum commercial and technical effectiveness and efficiency is maintained.
This role will play a critical part in the successful delivery of technical support services to a number of waste infrastructure projects. The ideal candidate will have strong technical credentials with the ability to lead and inspire and develop engineers and also promote the Ricardo brand as a center of technical excellence.
The successful candidate will also be involved in other work that makes the most of their expertise and experience, including supporting due diligence projects, expert witness support and the procurement of waste infrastructure for public and private sector clients and supporting UK and international reviews of markets and technologies.
- Reporting to the Waste Technical Services Business Area Manager within the Ricardo Energy & Environment Division.
- Provide leadership and promote a high-performance team culture.
- Develop a team and culture that delivers best in class technical engineering support services to global waste markets.
- Drive ongoing growth within developed and developing waste markets across the international arena.
- Actively engage in developing complex technical projects.
- Direct and prioritize the engineering team to support the delivery of multiple infrastructure projects
- Ensure cross discipline collaboration with other internal and external engineers.
- Management of engineering projects from concept through to take over
Key competencies and experience:
- Oversee complete lifecycle engineering support to complex waste infrastructure projects.
- Led and developed similar engineering support functions and teams.
- Natured and developed junior engineers to fulfil potential.
- Ensure compliance with commensurate internal processes and external standards and regulations.
- Prepare and manage the engineering departments budget.
- Design strategies for the delivery support structure for engineering projects.
- Coordinate and liaise with external technical support agencies.
- Understanding and experience of delivering detailed design within the bounds of defined contracts and specifications.
- Knowledge of waste treatment and management technologies.
- Knowledge of regulatory framework for the delivery of infrastructure projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver to the highest standards for all outputs whether written, presentational, or delivery, and conversed in face-to-face meetings with new and current clients.
- Producing, reviewing, verifying and approving technical Scopes of Work, assessing tender returns, then checking/assessing and/or approving the outputs to ensure that requirements are met.
- Producing, reviewing, verifying and approving technical specifications, assessing tender returns and providing technical support to those packages throughout the design, construction, installation, commissioning, operation and decommissioning phases of the project to ensure that the design intent is maintained.
- Assessing variations and changes to scope.
- Assessing concessions and technical queries.
- Feeding back lessons learnt for use on other projects.
- Good knowledge of coordination and integration of multi-disciplinary engineering systems.
- Commercial awareness, including contract, cost, and change control.
- Constructive and proactive communication skills – verbal, written, and visual.
Skills and behaviours:
- Clearly demonstrable leadership skills with an ability to develop strategic plans.
- Substantial experience within engineering delivery for thermal waste infrastructure projects.
- Detailed understanding of the support functions required to deliver large waste infrastructure projects.
- Excellent project management understanding and delivery within recognizable systems such as APM.
- Qualified within relevant engineering field.
- Broad experience in the design, installation, and commissioning of process systems.
- The post holder must have working knowledge of current legislation, standards and practices in process engineering systems.
- Ability to work to deadlines, under pressure and on own initiative.
- The post holder should possess a current valid driving licence.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and an ongoing commitment to undertake training and studies to meet the demands of both current and future legislation relating to the design of process / mechanical designs and building services.
- Possess good written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate well at all levels and be able to control certain financial aspects of contracts and/or projects.
- Experience in the planning, organising and control of sub-contractors, be able to provide services to agreed standards, time scales and budgets.
- High attention to detail demonstrating accuracy and quality in all work.
Highly Desirable (but not essential)
- Postgraduate degree qualified.
- Professional membership within relevant field.
- Experience of Quality systems to BS EN ISO 9001.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.